- Find water quality data
- Yukon water quality standards
- Water sampling techniques and protocols
Find water quality data
The Yukon Water Data Catalogue provides information on water quality sampling locations, periods of record and contact information for a variety of water networks.
Other direct sources of water quality data include:
Water licence data
You can access monthly and annual reports required under water licences through the Yukon Water Board’s WATERLINE. Long-term records of water licence data may also be available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
Baseline and research studies
Yukon water quality standards
A variety of guidelines and regulatory-imposed standards are available to assess water quality data for protection of aquatic life or suitability of water to drink . Those commonly applied in Yukon include:
- Canadian Environmental Quality Guidelines used to assess natural receiving environments.
- BC Water Quality Guidelines used to assess natural receiving environments.
- Yukon Contaminated Sites Regulation used to assess risks posed to human and environmental health in groundwater.
- Metal Mining Effluent Regulations: federally regulated standards for water released from a mine.
- Federal Environmental Quality Guidelines: referencing health of aquatic life.
- Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality: Health Canada guidelines to define safe drinking water.
- Guidelines for Canadian Recreational Water Quality: public health and safety of recreational waters.
Water sampling techniques and protocols
Proper water quality sampling techniques are required to: avoid sample contamination, maintain sample integrity through proper preserving and to sample from appropriate locations.
Guides on water quality sampling include:
- Water Sampling 101: a basic guide to the fundamentals of water quality sampling.
- Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment Protocols Manual: a nationally recognized guide for water quality sampling.
- American Society for Testing and Materials Standard Guide: a widely adopted protocol for sampling of groundwater wells.
- For sampling of groundwater wells specific to the contaminated sites regulations: