Learn how 911 services work in the Yukon

Call 911 when there is:

  • a life-threatening emergency or medical situation;
  • a crime in progress;
  • a fire;
  • a serious accident; or
  • an exposure to, inhalation of or swallowing of a poisonous substance.

Yukon has basic 911 service throughout the territory. 911 will connect you to the RCMP, fire department or emergency medical services (EMS).

You will be asked “Which community are you calling from?” and “Do you need police, fire or EMS?”

If you need Fire or EMS, your call will be forwarded to a secondary call taker for dispatch. Volunteer fire departments may not answer all calls. If that happens, call 911 again and ask the call taker to try the next closest department.

Answer all the questions to help first responders get to you. Don’t hang up until you are told to. EMS dispatchers might provide pre-arrival medical care by telephone instruction.

How to call 911 if you are deaf, hearing-impaired or speech-impaired

Basic 911 cannot receive text messages, email or video communication. Deaf, hearing-impaired or speech-impaired people can

  • use a TTY device, or
  • have their message relayed by a third-party, such as Bell Relay service.

Not all phones will call Yukon 911

  • Yukon does not have cellular service everywhere. Use a landline phone or a satellite telephone.
  • If your satellite telephone can’t call 911, dial 867-667-5555 instead. This will call the RCMP.
  • Internet phone companies (VoIP phones) and Wi-Fi calls may have limited or no 911 service. Check with your service provider.
  • If you do not have a Yukon phone number, cellular service providers may not connect you to Yukon’s 911 call centre. Your call may go to the centre closest to where your account is registered. Check with your service provider.