Get a General Identification Card

If you are not ready or cannot apply for a driver's licence and want a government-issued photo ID, you can apply for a General Identification Card (GIC). The GIC is accepted wherever government-issued ID is required to prove:

  • identity;
  • age; or
  • place of residence.

To get a GIC, follow these steps:

  1. Go to your nearest Motor Vehicles Office.
  2. Bring documents to prove your identity. For a GIC, we follow the same identity requirements as for a driver's licence. In special cases, you can use a guarantor form as proof of photo. This applies if you're under 18 years of age and do not have other photo ID, such as a passport.
  3. Bring 2 documents to prove your Yukon residency. To prove residency if you're a minor, you'll need to bring:
    • your parent or guardian's residency information; and
    • 1 other residency document, like a bank statement or enrolment confirmation in a Yukon school, if available.
  4. The client service agent will process your information.
  5. Pay the $25 fee by cash, credit card or debit. 
  6. Your physical General Identification Card (GIC) will be mailed to your home address within 7 to 10 business days. 

For questions about general identification cards, email, phone 867-667-5315 or phone toll-free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5315.

You can also contact any of our 11 community Motor Vehicles offices.