Information current

September 21, 2020

We're in Phase 3 of lifting COVID-19 restrictions. Watch the latest video update.

For non-medical questions, email or phone 1-877-374-0425.

For medical questions or if you feel ill, phone 811, or launch the COVID-19 self-assessment tool.

Camping during COVID-19

  1. Territorial parks and campgrounds
  2. Camping on public land
  3. Backcountry camping
  4. Who to contact if you have safety concerns

The Chief Medical Officer of Health's recommendations and Yukon’s public health orders apply in territorial parks, campgrounds, backcountry camps and on public land.

  1. Territorial parks and campgrounds

    All road-accessible campgrounds are open and camping permits are on sale now.

    Who can use territorial parks and campgrounds

    People who meet the conditions for entry to Yukon, and are not required to self-isolate, are welcome to use territorial parks and campgrounds.

    As of July 1, residents of Yukon, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut can enter Yukon without having to self-isolate if they can:

    • provide ID that proves their residency; and
    • declare they have not been outside those 4 jurisdictions in the past 14 days.

    Who cannot use territorial parks and campgrounds

    • No one can self-isolate in a territorial park or campground.

    • Non-residents who are required by law to travel through Yukon within 24 hours cannot stay or stop in government-run campgrounds.

    Camping is different during COVID-19

    You need to be more self-contained

    • Pre-purchase your camping permit online or at a vendor.
    • Pack everything you need before hitting the road to limit stops in the communities.
    • Only buy supplies in the community if stores are welcoming business.
    • Bring extra water, soap, hand sanitizer and toilet paper.
    • Only camp with members of your social bubble – maximum 1 bubble per campsite.
    • Clean your picnic table before and after you use it.
    • If your RV has a toilet use it and not the outhouse.
    • Follow all park and campground rules.
    • Follow the 6 steps to staying safe.

    What's open now?

    • All road-accessible campgrounds and recreation sites.
    • Outhouses and garbage and recycling bins.
    • Playgrounds, picnic shelters and beaches.
    • Boat launches and docks.
    • Firewood will be provided, when possible.
    • Backcountry camping facilities in Tombstone Territorial Park.
    • Tombstone Interpretive Centre is open daily, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

    What facilities are closed and activities not allowed

    • Special events and in-person interpretive programs are cancelled this year.
  2. Camping on public land

    People may camp on public land for recreational purposes. However, you need authorization under Yukon’s land legislation for permanent occupation of public land.

    Going out on the land

    If you're going out on the land, make sure to find out if the location you plan to camp is on private property or First Nations’ land.

    Where you need permission to camp

    • Private land: ask the landowner
    • Settlement Lands: ask the relevant First Nations government

    Use GeoYukon to view lands maps. 

    More information

    Follow the 6 steps to staying safe

    Find out about physical distancing.

    Find the latest updates on COVID-19.

    Pack out what you packed in

    If you're camping on public land, remember that the law requires you to clean up your garbage and waste. Dispose of RV sewage only at approved facilities or RV dumps. We ask you to follow "leave-no-trace" practices. By planning to leave no trace as you travel, you'll help:

    • keep Yukon green and pristine; and
    • minimize damage to our delicate, slow-growing northern ecosystem.

    Find leave-no-trace principles at leave no trace Canada.


    Campfires are allowed on public land unless there’s a fire ban. Read current information on fire bans and restrictions.

    You can help prevent wildfires by taking the following measures:

    • do not build a fire when it’s windy;
    • build the fire on non-flammable mineral soil at least 3 metres (10 feet) away from flammable vegetation;
    • remove dry leaves, twigs and other flammable material away from the area around your fire;
    • build a fire pit with a ring of rocks;
    • keep a bucket with at least 8 litres (2 gallons) of water and a shovel nearby to extinguish the fire;
    • keep the fire small and never leave it unattended; and
    • put out the campfire before leaving by soaking it with water, stirring and repeating until the ashes are cold to the touch.

    Learn more about preventing wildfires.

    Parks Canada sites

    Please visit these websites for the latest Parks Canada information:

  3. Backcountry camping

    At this time, people can camp in the backcountry. You cannot self-isolate in the backcountry.

  4. Who to contact if you have safety concerns

    Parks staff are monitoring parks and campgrounds.

    Report a possible infraction of a Civil Emergency Measures Act Order
    Phone: 1-877-374-0425.

    Police, fire and ambulance
    Phone: 911 or 1-867-667-5555

    Park officer
    Phone: 1-867-456-3974

    Phone: 1-888-789-FIRE (3473)

    Turn in Poachers and Polluters
    Phone: 1-800-661-0525

    Spill Line
    Phone: 1-867-667-7244


If you have questions about territorial campgrounds or parks, email or phone 867-667-5648, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5648.

If you have questions about camping on public land, phone the Land Management Branch: 867-667-5215.