What's the Housing Initiatives Fund?
The Housing Initiatives Fund provides capital grants for new affordable housing across Yukon. You can use it for new rental housing or new home ownership options.
There are 3 streams:
- shovel-ready (Whitehorse);
- shovel-ready (rural); and
- project concepts.
Eligible projects must include a minimum of 4 affordable units in Whitehorse and 1 unit in communities.
You can combine the Housing Initiative Fund with other government programs.
- Community housing providers including public or private non-profit housing organizations or rental co-operatives
- First Nations governments and development corporations
- Private sector companies and individuals
Application submission deadline
The intake for shovel-ready funding applications is open from November 14, 2022, to February 3, 2023.
- Projects in Whitehorse are eligible for up to $100,000 for each unit up to a maximum of $1,000,000.
- Rural projects are eligible for up to $100,000 for each unit up to a maximum of $1,000,000.
- Projects concepts are eligible for up to $20,000.
- Units must be energy efficient.
- A minimum of 1 or 20 per cent of the units must be accessible.
- Units designated as affordable must remain affordable for 20 years.
- Funding for rural private homeowners constructing rental units cannot exceed 50 per cent of the project costs.
- See evaluation criteria for individual stream details.
Before you apply
Before you start your application for the shovel-ready stream, read the Shovel-Ready Project Proposal Guide.
Submit your funding application
- Complete the application form.
- Submit your form to the Yukon Housing Corporation.
- In person: Yukon Housing Corporation office in your community. In Whitehorse at 410 Jarvis Street. Our office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Government of Yukon
Yukon Housing Corporation (Y-1)
How will my housing development submission be evaluated?
- Read the evaluation criteria we use for shovel-ready rental projects in Whitehorse and rural areas.
- Read the evaluation criteria we use for shovel-ready home ownership projects in Whitehorse and rural areas.
- Read about the project evaluation concepts we use when we look at your application.
For questions about applying for a loan to build affordable housing email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5759 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5759.