People who have a low- to moderate-income can apply to get help with their rent from the Canada-Yukon Housing Benefit program.
When we receive applications, we:
- process and review them to see if they’re eligible; and
- send a letter to everyone who applies with details about their application or eligibility.
If the program becomes fully subscribed we:
- continue to process applications; and
- put eligible applicants on a waitlist.
We contact eligible applicants when there’s space in the program.
What you need to be eligible
To be eligible for the Canada-Yukon Housing Benefit you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or have permanent resident or refugee status;
- be a Yukon resident for at least 3 months;
- be renting a house in the Yukon and not receiving any other housing benefit or subsidy;
- have an annual household income (combined income of all adults 19 or older who are living in the home) under the Affordable Household Income Limits for your eligible unit size (based on the National Occupancy Standards);
- have less than $100,000 in assets;
- file an annual Canadian Income Tax Return; and
- have income from a qualifying source such as:
- Employment Insurance;
- short-term Workers Compensation;
- short-term disability;
- alimony payments;
- Training Allowance;
- Old Age Security;
- Guaranteed Income Supplement; or
- pension income.
How to apply
- Fill out the application form.
- Attach any required documents:
- For anyone 19 years old and over: 1 piece of government issued photo identification
- for anyone 18 years old and under:1 piece of government issued identification
- For all members of the household over 19 years old: a current Proof of Income Statement from the Canada Revenue Agency (to contact the CRA phone 1-866-426-1527)
- a copy of your current lease agreement
- Submit your completed application form to Yukon Housing Corporation.
In person: Drop your application off at a local Yukon Housing Corporation office
Government of Yukon
Yukon Housing Corporation
Box 2703 (Y-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
- We'll send you a letter to let you know we've received your application.
For more information about the Canada-Yukon Housing Benefit, email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5712 or toll-free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408.