What is the Rural Home Ownership Loan Program?
This program is for people living in a rural community in Yukon to buy or build a home. This program is not available in Whitehorse.
- You are a building or purchasing a new home for your primary residence in a Yukon community outside Whitehorse.
- You fall within our established debt-to-loan ratios.
- You cannot get a loan from a bank.
- You will need a 2.5% down payment.
- If you build your own home, you must show that you have required skills and experience to complete the project.
Apply for a Rural Homeownership Loan
- Complete the rural home ownership loan application form.
- Completes the verification of employment form
- Submit both completed documents and any required supporting documentation:
In person: 410 Jarvis Street, Whitehorse, Yukon. Our hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Email: email@example.com (during COVID-19 situation, please submit forms by email)
Note: You have between 1 to 2 years to complete construction, depending on whether you hire a company to build or undertake the project on your own.
Loan financing details
- Amortize up to 30 years in 5 year terms.
- Interest only payments during construction.
- Interest rate at or below 1% the average posted rates. This is the posted 5 year average interest rate at major banks.
- You must prove you are bank ineligible every five years after year 10.
Get a rebate on energy efficient upgrades to your home
We offer Good Energy rebates on renovations and upgrades that make your home more energy efficient. These rebates can be combined with the Yukon Housing Corporation’s rural home ownership loan program.
For questions about applying for a loan to build your first home email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-667-5759 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5759.