The Whitehorse Correctional Centre (WCC) balances the safety of:
- the public; and
- the staff.
The correctional centre provides safe and humane services and programming to support:
- pro-social inmate behaviour;
- rehabilitation; and
WCC is a multi-level correctional facility for adults from across the Yukon. It opened in March 2012, using a direct supervision inmate management model.
This style of supervision:
- enhances safety;
- promotes open and effective verbal communication; and
- allows correctional officers to interact directly with people in custody without physical barriers.
Yukon Corrections policies
Policies for Yukon Corrections are published online on the Government of Yukon's open data platform.
Safety and design features
- Leed Silver standard
- 3 storeys
- 4 living units for men
- 1 living unit for women
- fresh-air yard for each unit
- 1 gym or gym equipment in each living unit
- 1 healing room
- 1 room for programming and training in each direct supervision living unit
- 1 multi-purpose room that can be used for programming
- 1 outdoor healing and recreation space
- WCC has an operational capacity of 151 beds
Safety and supervision features
The "Third-Generation" design of building allows staff to manage inmates with varying security requirements. The compact design:
- allows for efficient emergency response times;
- allows the staff to move easily between and within units;
- allows for inmates from each living unit to have access to:
- fresh air; and
- exercise equipment.
- allows for the ability to minimizes movement within the centre;
- allows for humane measures to be put in place to minimize contact between incompatible inmates; and
- lets inmates sleep in private individual or two-person cells, which are clustered in self-contained living units.
The safety and design features of direct supervision units permit:
- correctional officers to be present on each living unit without physical barriers between staff and inmates;
- continuous monitoring with the use of all physical senses; and
- ongoing verbal communication with the inmates.
Over 400 cameras connected to a central control system provide visual monitoring of all areas.
Video court appearances, medical and dental facilities reduce the need to transport inmates to the community for court or health services.
The correctional centre is located at 25 University Drive in Whitehorse. It’s open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4:30 pm except for statutory holidays. If you have questions about the Whitehorse Correctional Centre, phone 867-455-2900, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 2900.