Current information

The government toll-free general information number 1-800-661-0408 is not working. Call 867-393-6930 or 867-393-6931 instead. 

COVID-19 information

Read current health measures. For COVID-19 medical questions, phone 811; non-medical questions, email

Protecting child-beneficiaries of an estate

The public guardian and trustee protects the legal and financial interests of children under the age of 19. Under the Child and Family Services Act, the public guardian and trustee is the official guardian of these children.

Until a child turns 19 years old, the public guardian and trustee can decide if the child needs a lawyer or layperson to protect the child's:

  • rights; and
  • interests.

If an estate does not name a trustee for any children under the age of 19, the public guardian and trustee may:

  • act as the trustee for the children; and
  • invest funds for the children.

The public guardian and trustee can charge fees for the services they provide as a trustee:

  • hold and protect trust funds until children turn 19 years of age;
  • invest the funds during the term of the trust;
  • make appropriate disbursements from the trust; and
  • pay out the funds from the trust to the children when they turn 19.

If you have questions, contact the Public Guardian and Trustee.
In person: 1st floor, Andrew Philipsen Law Centre, 2134 – 2nd Avenue in Whitehorse.
Phone: 867-667-5366, toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5366
Fax: 867-393-6246