- Renew an insurer licence
- Complete the renewal application form
- Pay your fees
- Submit your complete renewal application package
Renew an insurer licence
All insurers doing business in the Yukon must hold a Yukon licence and renew it every year.
- Insurer licences expire annually on June 30.
- Submit your renewal application before June 1.
- This will ensure we can process your application before your licence expires.
It's illegal to do business in the new licence year before we’ve renewed your insurer licence.
You're eligible to renew an insurer licence if you meet all the following requirements:
- you hold a current insurer licence in the Yukon;
- you're licensed as an insurer in a Canadian province or under Canada’s Insurance Companies Act;
- you continue to meet all of the requirements of Yukon’s Insurance Act.
If you’ve had any complaints, disciplinary or criminal action against you, please note:
- we will assess your eligibility for registration or licensure on a case-by-case basis; and
- you may not be approved for registration or licensing.
Complete the renewal application form
Complete all sections of form. Do not leave a section blank. You may enter “not applicable” when it's relevant. We may return incomplete applications.
- The renewal form includes a statutory declaration.
- You must sign this section of the form in front of a commissioner of oaths or a notary public.
- The commissioner or notary public will then sign as a witness.
Pay your fees
All insurers must pay a $5 recording and filing fee.
You must also pay the following fees for each class of licence you apply for.
Joint stock and mutual companies
Annual licence fees
- Life $300
- Property $150
- Accident $150
- Other $50
Mutual benefit and fraternal societies
Annual licence fees
- Life $50
- Accident or sickness $50
How to pay
You can pay by:
- credit card;
- cash; or
- Provide a cheque in the appropriate amount made out to the Government of Yukon.
- After we issue your licence, we'll cash your cheque.
- If you submit your application in person, by courier or mail, you may include your credit card info on your payment information form.
- If you submit your application by email or fax, do not include your credit card information on your form. We'll contact you for your credit card info.
- After we issue your licence, we'll take payment.
Cash or debit
- You can only pay by cash or debit if you can pay in person at our office in Whitehorse.
- We'll hold your licence at our office after we issue it.
- We'll take payment by cash or debit when you pick it up.
Submit your complete renewal application package
Prepare your renewal application package
Your complete application package must include:
- your completed application form, including payment information section; and
- all supporting documents.
We typically process applications within 30 business days. We'll confirm you've met all legal requirements before issuing a licence. We may return your application if you’ve not provided all the required documentation.
How to submit
- In person or by courier at 307 Black Street, Whitehorse Y1A 2N1. We're open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 867-667-3609
Government of Yukon
Professional Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (C-5)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about renewing an insurer licence, email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5111, toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension. 5111.