- Borrow seeds
- Return or donate seeds
- Available vegetable seeds
- Available flower, herb and grain seeds
Our seed library is now accessible by request. Borrow seeds from the Energy, Mines and Resources Seed Library. Grow them in your garden. Save seeds to return to the library for next year. When Yukon gardeners do this, we develop seeds suited to our northern growing conditions.
Our seed library is for gardeners who want to grow and save seeds. You can borrow seeds at any time of year.
- Browse the list of available seeds through the links above.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of seeds you want.
- We will prepare them in advance for you.
- Visit the Energy, Mines and Resources Library. We are located at 335-300 Main Street in Whitehorse. The library is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Sign up for an EMR Library account (bring a piece of Yukon ID).
- Borrow seeds with your library account. You can borrow up to 10 packets of seeds each season.
- Start planting.
- When your plants go to seed, harvest the seeds and return those to the library.
Return or donate seeds
Returning seeds helps replenish the collection for other gardeners. This helps the seed library become self-sufficient.
You can bring seeds to the Energy Mines and Resources Library at any time of year. We will not fine you if you don't return any seeds.
We'd like you to bring in seeds from the plants you grew from seeds from our library. But, we will accept any open-pollinated or heirloom seeds you want to donate.
How to donate your seeds
- Dry and clean your seeds.
- Place them in an envelope or a plastic bag.
- Bring the seeds to the Energy, Mines and Resources library. We are located at 335-300 Main Street in Whitehorse. The library is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- When you bring your seeds to the library we will ask you:
- the type of seed;
- the year you collected it;
- the source of the original seeds, if known; and
- your tips on successful growing conditions.
We pass this information on to gardeners who borrow your seeds.
Available vegetable seeds
Locally grown vegetable seeds
- Beans, bush
- Bok Choi
- Mustard, tatsoi
Other vegetable seeds
- Beans, bush
- Beans, pole
- Beans, wax
- Peas, shelling
- Peas, snap
- Peas, soup
- Peppers, hot
- Swiss chard
Available flower, herb and grain seeds
Locally grown flower, herb and grain seeds
- Chamomile, German
- Chamomile, wild
- Crocus, prairie
- Maltese cross
- Maltese Cross
- Sour cherry
- Sage, wild
- Yellow rocket
Other flower, herb and grain seeds
- Lemon balm
- Mallow, common
- Mallow, musk
- Rudbeckia (black-eyed Susan)
If you have questions about using the seed library, visit, email or phone the Energy, Mines and Resources Library.