- About the Media Production Fund
- Who can apply?
- What projects are eligible?
- Eligible production costs
- How to apply
About the Media Production Fund
The Media Production Fund provides funding for the production of a professional film, television or digital media project. You must demonstrate market demand for the project in the form of a:
- licence agreement; or
- letter of interest.
You must have a minimum of 3 Yukoners in key positions.
What's a key position?
Key positions are typically heads of department or a senior role on production. Each of the 3 required key positions must be filled by a different Yukon resident. You can review the current list of accepted positions in the business guidelines.
How much funding is available?
You can receive a minimum rebate of 25 per cent of your Yukon spend that we approve under the Media Production Fund.
The 25 per cent rebate increases by:
- 2 per cent for each Yukon resident filling a key position, beyond the required minimum of 3, to a maximum of 10 per cent; and
- up to 5 per cent for projects where there's Yukon ownership.
The maximum potential rebate per project is 40 per cent of Yukon spend.
We'll accept applications starting March 18, 2022. If we receive multiple complete applications within 10 business days of the opening date, we'll prioritize them based on evaluation criteria in the business guidelines.
The program is closed for the year once we've distributed all the available funds.
You can only receive funding from the Media Production Fund once per project.
Who can apply?
Eligible production companies
To be eligible, your production company must:
- be incorporated in the Yukon;
- be registered to conduct business in the Yukon;
- be in good standing with Government of Yukon Corporate Affairs;
- have a Yukon business address;
- be a production company primarily in the business of developing and producing professional media content;
- be a for-profit company subject to Canada’s Income Tax Act;
- have the rights to produce and exploit the project; and
- maintain a financial stake in the project.
Your production company must not be:
- in the business of broadcasting or distributing content;
- related to someone in the business of broadcasting or distributing content; or
- in default with the Government of Yukon.
What projects are eligible?
The project must be a professional film, television or digital media project with an economic benefit to the Yukon.
Returning series are eligible and can apply once per year.
What projects are not eligible?
The program does not provide funding for:
- interactive content not eligible for licencing;
- user-generated, non-professional videos by amateurs without formal training or experience;
- current events;
- public affairs programming;
- weather reports;
- market reports;
- sports events or activities;
- gala presentation or an awards show;
- production that solicits funds;
- advertising, including commercials and infomercials;
- a production produced primarily for industrial, corporate or institutional purposes;
- a production mainly consisting of stock footage, other than a documentary; and
- the production of a game, questionnaire or contest, other than a production directed at minors.
Eligible production costs
The costs eligible for funding are:
- development costs;
- salary, wages or other fees for production personnel;
- costs for renting production equipment;
- post-production costs;
- unit publicity costs incurred during production;
- producer fees and corporate overhead;
- accounting fees; and
- arm’s-length legal costs.
Costs incurred more than 12 months before the funding agreement are not eligible, with limited exceptions.
How to apply
Before you apply
- Review the program policy.
- Read the business guidelines.
- Contact Media Development to discuss your application.
Letters of commitment
In addition to funding, you can apply for letters of commitment known as “comfort letters”. You must show that at least 30 per cent of your funding is in place, not including the amount you requested from the Media Production Fund. A letter of commitment expires 4 months from the date we issue it.
What you need to apply
You must submit the following:
- a completed and signed application form;
- a summary of the project;
- any existing creative materials;
- a description of activities and deliverables to be completed;
- a description of the production company, including:
- the structure and ownership;
- the names and addresses of shareholders; and
- incorporation documents;
- co-production agreement verification, if applicable;
- an overview of all the personnel involved in the project, including the positions that will be filled by Yukon residents;
- a residency declaration for each Yukon resident;
- a letter of commitment, licence agreement or deal memo from the broadcaster, distributor or online platform;
- a financing plan for production, including letters of commitment equivalent to 100 per cent of the production budget, including Media Development’s funding contribution, detailing:
- the terms;
- conditions; and
- value of the contributions from financial sources;
- a production budget, including your estimated Yukon spend in each line item;
- a project schedule that shows that principal photography or key animation will begin in the same fiscal year that it's funded and that you'll deliver it to the distributor within 24 months;
- a Yukon locations list;
- a related party transaction list; and
- chain of title showing you have the rights to exploit the project.
How to apply to the Media Production Fund
- Download and complete the application form.
- Submit the application form and all required documentation.
In person: 303 Alexander Street, 2nd floor, in Whitehorse
Our office is open Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (only if your files are under 10 MB in total)
Government of Yukon
Media Development (F-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
If you have questions about the Media Production Fund email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5387 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5387.