Apply for automated benefits

The Automated Benefits Application service allows you to automatically register your newborn child for the:

The service allows the Yukon Vital Statistics office to send birth registration information securely to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The CRA will determine if you're eligible for benefits.


To register you must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of your child and be:

  • the mother;
  • a Canadian citizen; or
  • a permanent resident.

How to register:

  1. Get a copy of the Registration of Live Birth form, it's available at Whitehorse General Hospital, Yukon Midwifery clinic and the Yukon Vital Statistics office.
  2. Fill out the form. Mark the “Request for Canada Child Benefits (optional)” consent section at the bottom of the form.
  3. On the form you can choose to provide your Social Insurance Number (SIN). Once we give your SIN to the CRA, the SIN section is removed from the form. We will not keep your SIN on record.
  4. Sign the form.

After we registered your child's birth in the Yukon, we'll send the following information to the CRA:

  • your name, date of birth, place of birth, SIN and mailing address;
  • your child’s name, date and place of birth, sex and birth registration number.

We do not send your marital status to the CRA. You must inform the CRA if your marital status has changed. Do this by:

If you do not use this service

When you fill out and submit the Registration of Live Birth you give your consent for us to share your birth information with the CRA.

If you do not complete the form, you do not give your consent and we will not send your birth registration information to CRA. You'll have to apply for Canada Child Benefits by:

If you consent to Automated Benefits Application service, the information you provided will automatically be sent to the CRA. Do not re-apply for your child’s benefits using the CRA online service, or Form RC66. Re-applying may delay processing your first application or issuing payments.


Once the CRA receives your application, you may expect your first notice and payment within 8 weeks.

Your income tax return is used to calculate your benefit payments. To continue receiving your payments, you and your spouse or common-law partner, must each file an income tax return every year. This must be done even if you have not received income in the year.

Direct deposit

To receive your payments faster, sign up for direct deposit. You do not have to apply again if you already receive your benefit payments for your other children by direct deposit. You'll receive the benefit payments for your newborn in the same bank account.

You must inform the CRA of your new address each time you move, even if you receive your payments by direct deposit. Update your personal information or call 1-800-387-1193.

For more information, visit Birth Registration and Canada Child Benefits