The Yukon Resource Gateway Project is a jointly-funded program providing benefits and opportunities from resource road upgrade projects to:
- First Nations;
- communities; and
Under the funding, projects will:
- provide necessary upgrades to existing road infrastructure;
- improve the safety and reliability of the road system; and
- provide more reliable access into areas of high mineral potential.
Under the program, we have committed to have project agreements with affected First Nations. This sets a high standard for partnership and collaboration.
Each project will go through Yukon’s assessment and regulatory process. This includes opportunities for public input and consultation with affected First Nations.
The total project proposal is valued at $468,845,000. Financial contributions are provided by the:
- Government of Canada – up to $248,179,000;
- Government of Yukon – up to $112,004,000; and
- mining industry – up to $108,662,000.
Completed project agreements with Yukon First Nations
Improvements to the North Canol Road and the Robert Campbell Highway
In March 2020, the Government of Yukon and the Ross River Dena Council reached an agreement in principle for:
- bridge replacement and safety improvements on the North Canol Road; and
- construction and resurfacing of kilometre 354.9 to kilometre 414.4 of the Robert Campbell Highway.
Upgrades to the Nahanni Range Road
In January 2020, the Government of Yukon and the Liard First Nation reached an agreement for the 1st phase of upgrades to the Nahanni Range Road.
Phase 1 upgrades include:
- 2 bridge replacements;
- 1 bridge rehabilitation; and
- improvements to lines of sight and road geometry.
In March 2019, the Government of Yukon and Little Salmon/Carmacks First Nation reached an agreement for the proposed Carmacks bypass. The bypass project will construct a bypass road for mining traffic to access the Freegold Road without having to drive through the town of Carmacks. The project includes construction of the Nordenskiold River bridge.
If you have questions about this initiative or would like to get in touch with us, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-456-3896.