The Joint Education Action Plan (JEAP) 2014-2024 is a 10-year agreement that resulted from a Tripartite Education Partnership agreement between:
- Government of Yukon;
- Government of Canada;
- all 14 Yukon First Nations governments; and
- the Council of Yukon First Nations.
The plan focuses on ways to improve educational outcomes for First Nations students in Yukon.
JEAP initiatives include:
- mandatory Yukon First Nations cultural awareness training for Department of Education staff, including those who work in schools;
- mandatory completion of the First Nations 101 course at Yukon College as a condition of hire at the college and the Council of Yukon First Nations;
- re-establishment of the First Nations Education Commission;
- development and implementation of Cultural Inclusion Standards for all Kindergarten to Grade 12 schools;
- more support for Yukon First Nations languages;
- development of tools to support cultural inclusion in schools; and
- development of protocols and policies for engaging with Yukon First Nations on key issues about education and matters that affect First Nations students.
For questions, phone: 867-456-6752, toll-free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 6752.