The Government of Yukon administers rebates to producing placer-mining operations.
The rebate is for 100% of carbon levies paid for production under a class 4 placer mining land use approval.
Read the Yukon Government Carbon Price Rebate Act.
Non-producing placer-mining operations are eligible to apply for the general business rebate. Companies involved in exploration projects are also eligible for the general business rebate.
Rebates can be issued via Electronic Funds Transfer (ETF):
- Sign up for direct deposit payments from the Government of Yukon.
Rebates qualify as income
If you claim the federal carbon levy as a business expense, you need to report the rebate amount as income on your tax return.
Your application for the previous calendar year will be accepted from January 1 to September 30.
Your application and all supporting documents must be received by the Department of Finance by September 30.
Applications will not be returned
Make sure you keep originals or copies of sensitive information.
Your application will be invalid if it is received after September 30. This includes all supporting documents.
Invalid applications will be returned to sender.
We will only process applications from eligible placer-mining operations.
To be eligible, you must:
- hold a valid class 4 placer mining land use approval; and
- submit evidence of all receipts for fuel purchases where the federal carbon levy applied.
You will only receive a rebate on fuel that was:
- purchased in the previous calendar year;
- purchased from a fuel vendor in Yukon; and
- used exclusively for operations on producing placer mines.
Yukon corporate registry
Applicants must be a registered business in Yukon.
If your business is not in good standing with Corporate Affairs, you may not be able to receive payment.
Federal business number
If your business has a federal business number, you must provide this on you application.
Fuel tax exemption permits
Your business does not need a Yukon fuel tax exemption permit to apply for the carbon rebate.
Class 4 placer mining land use approval
You must have a valid class 4 placer mining land use approval in your own name.
- If your name is not on the approval, then you'll need to provide additional documentation. This could include a copy of a lease agreement, a Declaration of operation agreement, or both.
- Only 1 individual or business will receive the rebate under each class 4 placer mining land use approval.
When to submit a Declaration of Operation Agreement
You must submit a Declaration of operation agreement if:
- more than 1 party is named on the class 4 placer mining land use approval;
- the name of the applicant is not on the class 4 placer mining land use approval; or
- the name of the applicant does not match the name on the lease agreement.
If more than 1 party is named on the class 4 placer mining land use approval, each party must provide a separate agreement.
You must submit evidence of all receipts for fuel purchases where the federal carbon levy applied.
We’ll accept originals or copies of eligible receipts. We will not return receipts.
All receipts must clearly show:
- date of purchase;
- location of purchase;
- volume of fuel purchased;
- type of fuel purchased;
- purchaser of the fuel; and
- total cost of the fuel.
Eligible receipts include:
- Point of sale (POS) receipts;
- card lock statements; and
- paid invoices to fuel distributors.
Card lock receipts
If you purchased fuel through a card lock, it must be documented in a card lock statement.
Receipts in another name
If a fuel invoice or receipt is not in the applicant's name, we will require supporting documentation. This must show the business connection between the purchaser and the applicant.
Valid documentation includes:
- a signed lease agreement; or
- a signed operating agreement.
Meter tickets will not be accepted
Meter tickets are not eligible as they do not include invoice numbers.
Detailed listing of receipts (optional)
In addition to your receipts, you can submit a detailed listing in the following formats:
- Excel file (.xlsx or .xls);
- comma-separated values file (.csv); or a
- printed document.
If you create a detailed listing of receipts, use this title:
- "Carbon rebate application (year)"
Before you apply
Complete the application form.
Gather your supporting documentation, including:
- a class 4 placer mining land use approval in the applicant's name;
- a Declaration of operation agreement (if required); and
- all eligible receipts for purchases where the federal carbon levy applied.
Submit your application
- Include "Carbon Rebate Application (Placer/year)" in the subject field of the email.
In person: Inquiry and cash desk, 2071 Second Avenue, Whitehorse. We are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Find our location on a map.
Mail: Government of Yukon
Department of Finance (B-1)
If you have questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.