You must have a Transportation Security Clearance to work at Erik Nielsen Whitehorse International Airport (YXY) without an escort.
- Apply in person to the YXY Pass Control Office. Contact the office at 867-667-8442.
- Transport Canada processes Transportation Security Clearance applications. Your application can take up to 6 months to approve.
Get a permit to operate a vehicle at a Yukon airport
You have two options to operate a vehicle at a Yukon airport.
- Apply for an Airside Vehicle Operator's Permit (AVOP); or
- Have a vehicle operator with AVOP escort you.
Apply for an Airside Vehicle Operator's Permit at YXY
- Get AVOP study materials. Contact our training coordinator at 867-455-2885 or the Airport Fire Department at 867-667-8453 for information.
- Fill out the AVOP application form.
- Complete our AVOP safety awareness training program. Call 867-455-2885 for more information about this training.
- Make an appointment to take AVOP written and practical exams. The airport's Manager, Emergency Preparedness and Response or designate conducts them by appointment on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. (09:00 and 14:00) at YXY, excluding holidays. To make an appointment call 867-667-8453.
AVOP categories at YXY
There are 4 different types of AVOP permits at YXY. They have different conditions and allow you to operate vehicles in different parts of the airport.
- AG2 – Restricted to Apron 2 and Taxiway Golf
- DA – Restricted to Apron 1
- DR – Restricted to Aprons 1 and 2 and Taxiways Echo and Golf
- D – Unrestricted
AVOP at other Yukon airports and Mayo aerodrome
AVOPs are required for individuals operating vehicles at Dawson City airport, Old Crow airport, Mayo aerodrome and Watson Lake airport.
Dawson City airport, Mayo aerodrome and Old Crow airport – phone the Northern Airports Duty Manager at 867-993-2909.
Watson Lake airport – phone the Southern Airports Duty Manager at 867-634-2046.