Ember Fire Academy is a free, intensive program for women 16+ years of age. You will experience the most challenging and exciting tasks in firefighting and first response in a safe and supportive environment.
The hands-on curriculum lets you explore a career in firefighting, jump start your physical fitness and learn new skills you can use anywhere.
You’ll learn to:
- use personal protective equipment and gear;
- cut open a car to free passengers;
- respond to a hazardous materials emergency;
- rescue people from heights using ropes and ladders;
- fight vehicle and structure fires;
- train for functional fitness and performance tests; and
- use proper nutrition for performance workouts.
2021 Ember Fire Academy
The academy runs for 6 days each summer, from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. This year, the academy will be held August 2 to 7. It is based at the Golden Horn Fire Department.
In light of COVID-19, we've adapted the program to meet the guidelines of the Chief Medical Officer of Health. Here are some of the things we will be doing to follow the Safe 6, plus 1.
- physical distancing will occur whenever possible;
- recruits will have their own classroom tables;
- surfaces and gear will be cleaned and disinfected frequently; and
- frequent hand washing will take place.
How to apply
- Use the online application form or download and complete the PDF application form.
Phone 867-456-3874 if you have any questions about this process.
- Submit your application by June 28, 2021.
In person: 91790 Alaska Highway in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Fire Marshal’s Office (C-20)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6