How to apply
To apply to become a volunteer firefighter, email CS.FMO@yukon.ca.
To apply to be a volunteer firefighter you must:
- be 18 years of age or older, or have parental permission for the Fire Explorer program;
- receive medical clearance from a health professional;
- pass a vulnerable sector record check through the RCMP; and
- attend weeknight training sessions twice a month and meet training curriculum requirements.
We will reimburse the fee for the medical clearance and the fee for the Vulnerable sector record check is waived for volunteers.
- an honorarium for each training session and call out;
- reimbursement for medicals, driver’s licence requirements and first aid training; and
- a tax credit for 200 hours of service annually.
We also provide volunteers with personal protective equipment.
Volunteer fire departments
The Fire Marshal's Office oversees these volunteer fire departments. If you live in or near one of these fire departments, you can volunteer there.
- Beaver Creek
- Burwash Landing
- Golden Horn
- Ibex Valley
- Klondike Valley
- Marsh Lake
- Mt. Lorne
- Old Crow
- Pelly Crossing
- Ross River
- Upper Liard
Contact your municipality to ask about volunteering for other fire departments.