Resources for educators, guardians and parents:
- 5-day plan for educators
- Kid-free zone at home: lesson plan and activities
- Stay away from hot things: lesson plan and activities
Activities for kids:
- Make a home fire escape plan
- Stay away from hot things colouring sheet:
- Stay away from hot things exercise sheet
- Sparky's recipes
Your best defence against a fire in your home is to be prepared.
Reduce your risk by following the home fire safety checklist and these tips:
- Keep up-to-date fire extinguishers near your kitchen stove, barbeque, fireplace or woodstove. Watch this video to learn how to use a home fire extinguisher.
- Install and maintain your home heating appliances correctly.
- Keep heat sources away from flammable material. For example, don’t use a space heater within 1 metre/3 feet of furniture, bedding or curtains. Don’t stack papers near your stove.
- Get your children involved in home safety too. Download kid-friendly checklists and fun activities for home and kitchen safety.
- Ensure you install and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide alarms - it's the law!
- Make sure everyone in your home knows to call 911 in an emergency (or 867-667-5555 on a satellite phone).
- Make a plan to evacuate your home safely.