Your best defence against a fire in your home is to be prepared. Reduce your risk by following the home fire safety checklist and these tips:
- Keep up-to-date fire extinguishers near your kitchen stove, barbeque, fireplace or woodstove. Watch this video to learn how to use a home fire extinguisher.
- Install and maintain your home heating appliances correctly.
- Keep heat sources away from flammable material. For example, don’t use a space heater within 3 feet or 1 metre of furniture, bedding or curtains. Don’t stack papers near your stove.
- Get your children involved in home safety too. Download kid-friendly checklists and fun activities for home and kitchen safety.
- Ensure you install and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Make a plan to evacuate your home safely.