Co-op jobs for post-secondary students

Are you a post-secondary student in a diploma or degree program who requires a co-op work placement as a requirement of graduation? You may be eligible for a year-round work placement with us.

Who can apply?

To be eligible to apply, you must:

  • be registered in a co-op program that has been approved by the Canadian Association for Cooperative Education;
  • be in a diploma or degree program that has work terms as a condition of graduation;
  • have completed at least 1 year of academic study; and
  • be eligible to work in Canada (although preference is given to residents of Yukon).

How to apply

Your school's co-op study program coordinates placement with the Government of Yukon. Your work-placement coordinator will help you find a placement in consultation with our hiring department.

What can you expect?

During your placement, your academic studies will be integrated into on-the-job learning. Areas of employment include engineering, geology, information technology, health care and many other technical fields.

Full and part-time placements are available in several Yukon communities and last a minimum of 12 weeks. Participants in this program are often encouraged to take on multiple placements, to get the widest possible exposure to the range of opportunities available in the territory.


Wages are paid as a percentage of the starting salary for the assigned duties of the position and go up with each subsequent co-op work placement.

  • 1st placement: 60 per cent of the starting salary
  • 2nd placement: 65 per cent of the starting salary
  • 3rd placement: 70 per cent of the starting salary
  • 4th placement: 75 per cent of the starting salary
  • 5th or more placement: 80 per cent of the starting salary

Pay at any step above the minimum may be paid at the discretion of the manager:

  • to students who possess some relevant previous work experience;
  • where there is a shortage of students in the field of study required; or
  • when a university degree or year of study is required as a pre-requisite for another program, such as a bachelor of law, education, medicine, pharmacy or veterinary sciences program.

For questions about co-op work placements email or phone 867-667-9501.