How do I become a wildland firefighter?

We hire initial-attack wildland firefighters to work across the territory. You can apply to be a casual wildland firefighter by emailing your resume to

We do not provide seasonal housing for firefighters.


You must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or be able to work legally in Canada;
  • have a class 5 Yukon driver’s licence;
  • meet physical fitness standards; and
  • have experience living or working in a wilderness environment.

Post-secondary education in Natural Resources Management or a related field is an asset.

Candidates with a valid Emergency Medical Responder certificate will be given preference.

Conditions of employment

When hired, you must:

  • get certified in standard First Aid or CPR Level C;
  • complete the Yukon Initial-Attack Crewmember course;
  • get medical clearance and maintain a time of 14:30 on the WFX-FIT test; and
  • complete a Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire and informed consent document.

Training we provide

  • Chainsaw maintenance and operation
  • Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification
  • WHMIS and Transportation of Dangerous Goods certification
  • How to drive all-terrain and utility vehicles, and safely work around helicopters
  • How to work within the Incident Command System