Y2C2 and COVID-19
Due to continued uncertainty and restrictions we face during this time, Y2C2 is operating at a reduced capacity. This year our program will only have one small team of five post-secondary students. No field workers or further staff will be hired for the summer.
We are still going ahead with local projects that can be done while meeting guidelines from the Chief Medical Officer of Health, around the Whitehorse area.
While we make this announcement with regret, we believe it to be the best way forward in terms of balancing the safety of Yukoners and still making a positive impact. Given our capacities, we are providing what employment and project contributions we can.
Y2C2 will be back in 2021 to celebrate our 30th year!
What is Y2C2?
The Yukon Youth Conservation Corps (Y2C2) is a summer employment and training program for Yukon students. It focuses on environmental education and enhancement.
Crews of 1 to 5 students work on conservation projects throughout Yukon. These projects are proposed and overseen by community groups, First Nations, federal and territorial governments, municipalities and individuals. Conservation Action Team Leaders facilitate 8 to 10 day expedition programs for youth entering grades 7 to 10.
Y2C2 jobs are not part of the STEP program.
- You are between 16 and 29 years of age.
- You are a full-time high school or post-secondary student and either graduating or planning to return to full-time studies in the fall.
- You have lived in Yukon for at least 1 full year before beginning your present studies.
- The deadline for all Y2C2 and CAT positions was February 14, 2020.
- Field worker positions are cancelled due to COVID-19.
How to apply
- Review the job descriptions for the positions below:
Conservation camp assistant (2 positions, $20.19/hour for 13 weeks + camp bonus, $21.64/hour if hired for second year)
Crew leader (2 positions, $23.15/hour for 13 weeks + camp bonus, $24.77/hour if hired for second year )
Green Team steward (1 position, $21.64/hour for 16 weeks, $23.15/hour if hired for second year)
Green Team special projects worker (3 positions, $20.19/hour for 13 weeks, $21.64/hour if hired for second year)
Field worker (8 positions, $13.98 /hr for 8 weeks, $14.61/hour if hired for second year)
- Decide which position(s) you want to apply for.
- Complete the Youth Programs student employment application form.
- Submit your completed application form and resume to Y2C2@gov.yk.ca. In the subject line please write "Y2C2 Application - Your Name".
- You will receive a confirmation email and be prompted to complete an online resume profile
Government of Yukon
Habitat Programs (V-5R)
c/o Youth Programs coordinator
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
For questions about applying for Y2C2, email Y2C2@gov.yk.ca or phone: 867-667-5168 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5168.