What is STEP?
The Student Training and Employment Program (STEP) provides students with a way to earn a wage while gaining work experience in their field of study.
STEP employment benefits:
- Fantastic opportunities across the Yukon in the public and private sectors.
- A wide range of training and mentorship opportunities from supervisors and senior team members.
- Full-time summer employment with a typical employment period from May 1 to September 1. Dates are flexible.
- Job opportunities from Environmental Technician to Administrative Assistant.
Student applications for STEP positions will open in early 2024. The deadline for positions in 2024 will be Friday, February 2, 2024.
How to apply
When applying you must:
- Complete the application form.
- Include your résumé.
- Submit your application to email@example.com.
To find out if you're eligible for STEP employment, review the application.
What do STEP jobs pay?
Wages are at least $20.80 per hour. As your education level increases so does your wage:
- $20.80 per hour upon completion of your current post-secondary program.
- $22.29 per hour upon completion of 2nd year
- $23.85 per hour upon completion of 3rd year
- $25.52 per hour upon completion of 4th year or higher
Employers other than the Government of Yukon may pay higher wages.
We are committed to employment equity and a representative workforce. Some STEP jobs may give preference to any of the following:
- persons of Yukon First Nation ancestry;
- persons of Aboriginal ancestry or;
- persons with a disability.
If a job has identified a preference, the job overview will say so.
If you meet the preference requirements, say so in your cover letter or résumé. If you're not part of a preferred group, you can still apply for the job. If no one from the preferred group meets the screening criteria, we'll consider your application. If you're interested in a position, we encourage you to apply.