Get financial support to find work or learn a new skill – Working UP

The Working UP program can help you:

  • take the next steps toward your work or learning goals;
  • improve literacy and essential skills;
  • increase your workplace skills and experience, including support for registered apprentices;
  • get workplace or learning support; and
  • explore options for self-employment.


You can apply for Working UP funding if you’re:

  • 16 years or older;
  • out of the public school system; and
  • legally entitled to work in Canada and expect to remain so.

You cannot be "self-sufficient" in the labour market. This means you cannot get and keep employment that meets your:

  • basic needs; and
  • the needs of your dependents.

A case manager will assist you to develop an application that shows this.

Application deadline

Apply before you commit to your activity. For example, if you’re applying to go to school send us your application before you apply to the school.

How Working UP funding decisions are made

We base approval for funding on matching our priorities to your specific needs. We consider your situation and needs, along with the needs of communities and Yukon’s labour market.

What costs may be funded?

You may receive funding for:

  • tuition and textbooks;
  • financial support for your personal needs such as childcare;
  • living supports while in training;
  • training-related costs such as travel and local transportation;
  • supports if you have a disability; and
  • a set amount of financial support for apprenticeship training.

Read more about the Working UP program


How to apply

To start the process, speak with a case manager. They’ll help you create a plan and apply to the program. There’s no cost for this service.

If you’re a registered apprentice

Contact your Industrial Training Consultant through the Yukon Apprenticeship Office located at the Department of Education.

  • email [email protected]; or
  • phone 867-667-5298, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 5298

If you’re a Yukon First Nations citizen

  1. Contact one of the organizations below.
  2. Talk with your First Nation as they may offer you extra services.

Find a Working UP case manager

All Yukon residents

Employment Central
#202, 204 Black Street
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2M9
Phone: 867-393-8270
Email: e[email protected]

Dawson City area residents

Klondike Outreach
853 Third Avenue
PO Box 418
Dawson City, Yukon Y0B 1G0
Phone: 867-993-5176
Email: [email protected]

If you're on social assistance or have a disability

Employment and Training Services


Association franco-yukonnaise
302 Strickland Street
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2K1
Phone: 867-668-2663, ext.223
Email: [email protected] 



If you have questions or need help finding a case manager, phone 867-456-6185, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 6185 or email [email protected].