The Health Information Privacy and Management Act (HIPMA) governs the collection, use and disclosure of personal health information. All Yukon health care providers (referred to as custodians under the Act) must follow the Act.
What does the Act do?
HIPMA establishes rules to ensure the privacy and security of personal health information.
The Act gives people the right to access their own health information held by custodians. It also ensures that people have control over their information.
About the HIPMA toolkit
The toolkit helps custodians meet their obligations under the Act.
The documents provided in this toolkit are provided as helpful tools only. They do not constitute legal advice nor official legal interpretation of HIPMA binding on government. If you need advice on a particular fact situation or legal issue, you should consult a lawyer.
HIPMA custodian toolkit
Overview information for custodians
Readiness materials for custodians
Sample HIPMA online training course
Contact us to get a PowerPoint presentation of a sample health information privacy and confidentiality training.
HIPMA materials to post for the public
- Sample text for a brochure and handout for use by staff and other agents
- Sample HIPMA brochure layout for information for staff and other agents
- Sample quick reference guide
- Sample pledge of confidentiality
- Sample breach protocol
- Sample collection of personal health information policy
- Sample use of personal health information policy
- Sample security breach policy
- Sample access to personal health information policy
- Sample step-by-step guide to complete the record of user-activity
- Sample record of user-activity request
- Sample application for access to personal health information
- Sample breach reporting
- Sample correction of personal health information
- Health Information Privacy and Management Act
- Health Information Privacy and Management Act – General Regulations
- Health Information Privacy and Management Act – Yukon Health Information Network Regulations
Yukon Health Information Network (YHIN) Ministerial Orders
- Decision of the Minister YHIN201705 – 001 – requirement to make drug supply transaction information accessible (May 23, 2017)
- Ministerial Order – electronic systems designated as part of Yukon Health Information Network (August 23, 2016)
- Ministerial Order – authorized user eligibility for Yukon Health Information Network (June 8, 2017)
- Ministerial Order – personal health information designated as Yukon Health Information Network information (June 8, 2017)
- Notice Regarding Decision of the Minister July 10, 2017
- Notice Regarding Decision of the Minister August 23, 2017
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-456-3953, toll free 1-800-661-0408 extension 3953.