The Home Owners Grant reduces the amount of property tax you pay for your principal residence. It's available to homeowners that pay property taxes to a municipality or to the Government of Yukon if they live in a rural area.
Eligible individuals can receive up to 50% of the property taxes owing on their residence to a maximum of $450 and subject to a $100 minimum tax. Eligible individuals 65+ can receive up to 75% of the property taxes owing on their residence to a maximum of $500.
Apply for 1 grant each year if you:
- are a Yukon homeowner;
- have paid property taxes in full; and
- lived in your home for 184 days (6 months) of the tax year.
Apply for a Home Owners Grant
You pay your property taxes in person
- Bring your property tax notice to our office at 308 Steele Street in Whitehorse. Our hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- We will deduct the grant amount from the total amount of taxes you owe.
- You will pay the remainder.
Rural property taxes: The Home Owners Grant is deducted from your rural property taxes when you pay in person.
You pay your property taxes through your mortgage company
- You will get your property tax notice in the mail between May 15 and July 2.
- Your mortgage company's name should appear on the bottom portion of the notice in the section called 'Copy of notice sent to.'
- Submit your signed grant application to us no later than June 10 to ensure your mortgage company will pay the taxes less the grant. Our office at 308 Steele Street in Whitehorse is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For questions about applying for a Home Owners Grant email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 867-667-5268 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5268.