Apply for financing to get power, phone or internet to your rural home

The Rural Electrification and Telecommunications (RET) program helps rural Yukon property owners get electrical, telephone and internet service to their home.


You can apply for this financing if you are a rural residential property owner whose property is outside Yukon municipalities. Your property taxes must be paid and up to date.

Your project must be:

  • for a single-site connection;
  • a group project; and, or
  • an alternate energy system for private use.


  • Funding for individual projects is limited to 25% of the assessed value of the property, less any existing local improvements.
  • Maximum funding is $50,000, excluding group projects.

How to apply

  1. Contact us to discuss eligibility and program details. You can email or phone 867-667-5268 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, extension 5268.
  2. Fill out an application and submit to 308 Steele Street in Whitehorse, Yukon. We are open from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 
    Government of Yukon
    Property Assessment and Taxation (C-9)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
  3. We will review your application.
  4. If approved, you must agree to the terms of payment and follow the project through to completion.
  5. Once the project is complete, we pay the invoices and enter into a local improvement charge agreement with the property owner.
  6. You will see the local improvement charge on your annual property tax bill.