Fire Prevention Week
October 4 to 10: Serve up fire safety in the kitchen!
Cooking is the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries.
Download the cooking safety checklist to ensure you are following the safest practices while cooking at home.
Resources for educators, guardians and parents:
- 5-day plan for educators
- Kid-free zone at home: lesson plan and activities
- Stay away from hot things: lesson plan and activities
Activities for kids:
- Make a home fire escape plan
- Stay away from hot things colouring sheet:
- Stay away from hot things exercise sheet
- Sparky's recipes
Your best defence against a fire in your home is to be prepared.
Reduce your risk by following the home fire safety checklist and these tips:
- Keep up-to-date fire extinguishers near your kitchen stove, barbeque, fireplace or woodstove. Watch this video to learn how to use a home fire extinguisher.
- Install and maintain your home heating appliances correctly.
- Keep heat sources away from flammable material. For example, don’t use a space heater within 1 metre/3 feet of furniture, bedding or curtains. Don’t stack papers near your stove.
- Get your children involved in home safety too. Download kid-friendly checklists and fun activities for home and kitchen safety.
- Ensure you install and maintain smoke and carbon monoxide alarms - it's the law!
- Make sure everyone in your home knows to call 911 in an emergency (or 867-667-5555 on a satellite phone).
- Make a plan to evacuate your home safely.