Apply for funding to help cover heating costs for seniors

The Pioneer Utility Grant (PUG) assists Yukon seniors with the cost of heating their homes. Whether they own, or rent and are not living in social housing. Heating can be oil, electricity, wood, propane or wood pellets. Yukoners must apply every year.

You can learn more by reading the Pioneer Utility Grant Act and the Pioneer Utility Grant Regulation.

Maximum payable base rate

The 2020 maximum grant payable (before income testing) is:

  • $1,126 if you live within Whitehorse city limits; and
  • $1,209 if you live outside Whitehorse city limits.

We base the grant on income, marital status and residential address. So, everyone’s grant amount is different.

Your Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment determines your income. Seniors with low income will receive the full grant, while those with higher income will receive less or may not be eligible.

Pioneer utility grant calculator

You can estimate your grant amount before applying by using the pioneer utility grant calculator.

Report changes

To report an address change phone the pioneer utility grant helpline at 867-667-5750 or toll-free at 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5750.

Who can apply for this funding?

  • Yukon seniors who are 65 or older in the year of the grant.
  • A Canadian citizen or permanent resident who has lived in Yukon for a minimum of 12 months.
  • Yukoners who live in the Yukon a minimum of 183 days every year.
    • 3 months of the 183 days must be during the winter months defined as January, February, March, October, November, and December. 

Yukoners on an extended vacation during the first 6 months of the year must delay submitting their application.  For example, if you travel south on vacation for the entire month of February, you cannot apply until November 1. You would need January, March and October to count as your winter months.

Application deadline

Applications accepted from July 1 to December 31. This date can be extended to January 31 only in exceptional medical circumstances.

Before you apply

Your application includes several supporting documents. Required documentation includes:

  • photocopy of your Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) notice of assessment as proof of annual income;
    • pages that show your name and line 236;
    • black out your social insurance number at the top of the notice and all other lines, except for line 236; and
    • notice of assessment for your spouse, even if they are under the age of 65.

Home owner documentation includes:

  • a copy of your 2018 Property Assessment Notice;
  • either the GREEN Government of Yukon form or a property assessment statement stamped by Community Services; or
  • a municipal water and sewer bill if it clearly identifies your physical address.

Rent or lease documentation includes:

Apply for a pioneer utility grant

  1. Review the information for Yukon seniors, elders and services providers.
  2. Complete the Pioneer Utility Grant application form
  3. Submit your application. 
    In person: From July 1 to December 31 at the Income Support Unit at 3168 - 3rd avenue in Whitehorse. Or one of our Regional Services Offices in the communities.

    Pioneer Utility Grant (PUG) (H-4)
    Health and Social Services, Government of Yukon
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

By law, we must return incomplete applications to you.If your application is incomplete, we will mail it back to you within 10 days. We will include a letter detailing what is missing in your application.

When can I expect to receive the PUG payment?

If your application package is complete, you can expect your pioneer utility grant within 30 working days.


For questions about applying for the Pioneer Utility Grant phone the helpline at 867-667-5750 or call toll-free at 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5750.