We're collaborating with Yukon First Nations on improving the management of Yukon’s mining and exploration sector. We've signed a Mining Memorandum of Understanding with Yukon First Nations who have Final Agreements. This ensures that Yukon’s mineral exploration and development regime reflects First Nation Final Agreements.
Why are the parties taking this approach?
Our decision-making process is distinctive because it puts reconciliation into practice. We designed the process with Yukon First Nations to prioritize collaborative decision-making among the governments.
We're analyzing the way we regulate mining to make sure that regulatory and policy approaches align with First Nation Final Agreements. We're working with Yukon First Nations to develop a mining regime that:
- improves the management of mineral resources in Yukon;
- ensures that our mining regime reflects Yukon First Nations’:
- interests; and
- addresses their issues;
- respects environmental stewardship.
This regime will develop an economy that benefits all Yukoners by creating jobs and diversifying our economy.
We discuss these matters through equitable dialogue and consideration of First Nations values. The mining and exploration industries have an opportunity to provide input at various stages in the process.
We expect that improvements in our relationship with Yukon First Nations will improve the overall mineral regime. This in turn, will increase the attractiveness and competitiveness of Yukon’s mineral sector.
What actions fall under the Mining Memorandum of Understanding?
- facilitate mining activity in Yukon that's consistent with Yukon Final Agreements;
- work collaboratively and develop joint priorities and workplans; and
- develop recommendations that respect the special relationship between the Government of Yukon and Yukon First Nation governments.
Recommendations in the Mining Memorandum of Understanding include:
- the development of a Yukon-wide mineral development strategy;
- the establishment of a progressive reclamation working group;
- a Class 1 notification regime for all of Yukon; and
- providing additional protections to some First Nation Settlement Lands.
If you have questions about this initiative or would like to get in touch with us, email email@example.com or phone 867-456-3896.