The Yukon Forum is a regular meeting between leaders of the Government of Yukon, Yukon First Nations and the Council of Yukon First Nations.
The goal of the Yukon Forum is to build strong government-to-government relations and collaborate on shared priorities. The Yukon Forum was established in 2005 under the Cooperation in Governance Act.
Yukon Forum priorities
The Yukon Forum has 4 joint priority areas:
- fiscal relations;
- bilateral and trilateral engagement on justice, health and social services, education and heritage;
- land claim and self-government implementation; and
- ensuring the territory’s legislative agenda considers First Nation priorities.
Yukon Forum outcomes
In January 2017, the governments signed a declaration to renew the forum and committed the governments to meet 4 times a year.
In May 2017, the governments agreed on the 4 joint priority areas.
In September 2017, the Yukon Forum approved a joint priority action plan. It lays out the next steps on topics such as justice, heritage, education, health, land claim agreement implementation and fiscal relations.
In June 2018, the Yukon Forum agreed to add fish and wildlife to the joint priority action plan.
In June 2021, the governments reconfirmed their commitment to advancing the joint priorities and discussed plans to investigate all former residential school grounds in the territory.
In March 2023, the governments discussed shared actions to address the Substance Use Health Emergency.
Some key accomplishments on the joint priorities include:
- Memorandum of Understanding on mining and development of new mining legislation
- Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment (YESAA) Reset Memorandum of Understandig and Oversight group
- Yukon First Nations Procurement Policy
- Representative Public Service Plan – Breaking Trail Together
- Review of the Yukon Fish and Wildlife Management Board
- Establishment of the Yukon First Nations School Board
- Co-developed amendments to the Child and Family Services Act
- An agreement to clarify how resource royalties are shared under Chapter 23 of the Final Agreements
- Collaborative processes to guide our strategic approach on addressing mental wellness and substance use, on the environmental and socio-economic assessment process land-use planning, heritage management, justice and land-based healing.
Yukon Forum meetings
Yukon Forum 2024
Yukon Forum 2023
Yukon Forum 2022
Yukon Forum 2021
Yukon Forum 2020
Yukon Forum 2019
Yukon Forum 2018
Yukon Forum 2017
Yukon Forum newsletter
The newsletter aims to provide a high-level overview of topics discussed at the previous and current Yukon Forum. It also provides updates and more information on the Joint Working Groups of the Yukon Forum Joint Priority Action Plan, which may not have been discussed at the current forum.