Apply to be an educational assistant

  • What is an educational assistant?
  • Apply for an educational assistant position

  1. What is an educational assistant?

    Educational assistants help:

    • students who have exceptional educational needs under the Education Act;
    • teachers meet the needs of all students in the classroom; and
    • the school meets the supervisory, cultural, social and emotional learning goals of students.

    Pay range

    We use the pay grid for educational assistants to determine salaries. You can review the collective agreement between the Government of Yukon and the Yukon Teachers' Association for more information on levels. 

  2. Apply for an educational assistant position

    Find an educational assistant job

    If you're a new applicant:

    Visit the apply to Education website

    If you're a returning applicant:

    Log in to the Yukon Education portal

    Prepare your application

    1. Prepare your résumé and show that you meet the essential qualifications:
    • Grade-12 graduation or equivalent; and
    • experience working with youth.


    The following are considered assets:

    • experience working with youth with special needs;
    • fluency in both English and French; and
    • post-secondary training in:
      • educational assistant;
      • exceptionality worker;
      • special education assistant; or
      • a related field.


    2. Provide 3 professional references:

    • 1 must be a recent and relevant supervisor.
    • Include their names and contact information.

    Submit your application

    We accept applications for this list a few times a year. We'll post a job on the Yukon educational portal when we are accepting applications. Follow these steps to apply.

    1. Create a free account or log in to your account on the Yukon education portal.
    2. Log in to the Yukon Education portal
    3. Include all the information required in the "portfolio" tab, listed above.
    4. Open the posting for the job you want to apply for.
    5. Follow the online instructions and answer all job posting related questions.
    6. Choose "Apply" at the bottom of the page and follow instructions.
    7. Check your "job application log" to see if you've applied to the job successfully.

    After you apply

    Get a vulnerable sector check

    You must submit a vulnerable sector check. Follow these steps.

    1. Visit your local police detachment with 2 pieces of identification.
    2. Follow the instructions given to you by the police detachment to complete the process. The fee for a vulnerable sector check can vary. Ask the police detachment about the cost. 
    3. Bring the original to the Department of Education's Human Resources branch.
      In person: Education Building (entrance to parking on Hospital Road), 1000 Lewes Boulevard in Whitehorse. We’re open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


    Your vulnerable sector check is valid for 2 years from the date the police verifies the search. You must keep it current, even if it expires in the middle of a school year.

    Once you're hired

    You’ll need to provide your school transcripts.


For questions, email or phone 867-393-7132 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 7132.