Apply for funding to test sheep or goats for Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae before importation

You can apply for funding to pre-test domestic sheep and goats for Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae (M. ovi) before you import them to the Yukon. Pre-testing can reduce the risk of importing M. ovi along with imported sheep and goats.

Available funding

We'll cover up to 100% of testing costs charged by an out-of-territory veterinarian. This includes:

  • professional fees such as farm calls or sample collection;
  • cost of materials required for testing;
  • sample shipping and handling fees;
  • laboratory fees; and
  • travel costs such as mileage for the veterinarian travel to the farm.


You must:

Apply for funding

  1. Get a quote from a veterinarian can test for M. ovi.
  2. Download and complete the application form.
  3. Submit your completed form and quote to the Agriculture Branch.
    In person: Room 320 in the Elijah Smith Building, 300 Main Street in Whitehorse. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
    Government of Yukon
    Agriculture Branch (K-320A)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
  4. We’ll review your application and decide if you’re eligible for funding and the maximum amount you'll receive.
  5. We’ll email you to tell you our decision.
  6. Our control order veterinarian will contact the out-of-territory veterinarian to ensure the test meets our requirements.
  7. The out-of-territory veterinarian takes the sample and sends it to a laboratory for testing.
  8. You pay the out-of-territory veterinarian for their services.
  9. You submit your receipts to the Agriculture Branch.
  10. The test laboratory submits the results to the control order veterinarian.
  11. We’ll reimburse your receipts up to the maximum amount we approved. We’ll mail you a cheque. Or, if you've set direct deposit up with us, we'll deposit the money into your bank account.

If an animal tests positive

We will not issue import permits for any animals from this herd.


For questions about owning sheep or goats in the Yukon, contact the Agriculture Branch or Animal Health Unit.

For the Agriculture Branch, email or phone 867-667-5838.

For the Animal Health Unit, email or phone 867-667-5600.

You can also reach the Agriculture Branch or Animal Health Unit toll-free in the Yukon by phoning 1-800-661-0408 and asking to be transferred.