Report livestock at large or welfare concerns

In the Yukon, you must contain your livestock but sometimes animals break free. This poses a risk to the animal, wildlife, private property and public safety. It is important that livestock owners and the public report the escape.

Reporting livestock at large

To report livestock at large, phone the Agriculture Branch at 867-667-5838. Be ready to provide the:

  • location;
  • number of animals; and
  • description or picture of the animals.

We will first try to reconnect the animals with their owner. If this can't happen, we will take steps to protect the animals and public. This may include relocating animals to safe location. 

Feral horses in the Ibex Valley

There is a group of feral horses in the Ibex Valley. You may see horses in this area and won't know if they are feral or domestic. You can phone 867-667-5838 to report the horses.

Reporting livestock welfare concerns

The National Farm Animal Care Council established standards for the care of livestock based on best practices of the industry. In addition, Yukon’s Animal Protection and Control Act specifies the obligations of owners to:

  • provide care for their animals; and
  • prohibits abuse of livestock.

You can report livestock welfare concerns. Phone 867-667-5838.

Visit How to keep livestock healthy to learn more about caring for livestock.

Reporting escaped or missing Livestock

To report escaped or missing livestock, phone the Agriculture Branch at 867-667-5838, or 1-800-661-0408.  

We can help:

  • identify the owner of livestock; and
  • develop a plan to capture them.

If you believe wildlife such as bears or wolves took your livestock, report this to:

  • Conservation Officer Services 867-667-8005; and
  • Agriculture Branch 867-667-5838.

It's important to report and start a record of possible problems with wildlife, and to record the loss. You may be eligible for compensation under the Wildlife Damage Compensation Program.

Eurasian boar

Eurasian boar are prohibited in the Yukon. If you own eurasian boar please contact Agriculture branch at 867-667-5838 and they will work with you on a plan for removal with compensation.