Get funding to protect your crops and property from wildlife

Protecting a farm from damage by wildlife is part of a farm’s risk-management activities. If you prevent interactions between wildlife and a farm, you protect both.

Protect your crops from elk

Elk can cause damage to high-value forage crops, such as fertilized and managed fields. You can access funding to install fencing that prevents this type of damage.


Eligible recipients

You can apply if you’re an agricultural producer with titled agriculture property.

You must have experienced and documented:

  • negative interactions with elk; and
  • damages due to elk.

Your agricultural property must be in production and show annual farm sales. Contact the Agriculture Branch for the minimum levels of sales.

Eligible types of fencing

The proposed fencing design needs to prevent further elk interactions and damage.

Game fencing that’s 2.44 metres (8 feet) high is preferred.

You can propose other designs for consideration, such as 3D or electric fencing.

You can also propose smaller projects, such as:

  • building fencing to protect a hay-storage area; and
  • extending existing fencing on the property.

Eligible funding

You can get up to a maximum of $32.80 per linear metre ($10 per linear foot) for new game fencing.

Projects may have lower funding maximums depending on the fencing design. Contact the Agriculture Branch to find out how much funding you can get for your project.

Apply for funding

Prepare your funding application

To receive funding, you must provide documents with information on:

  • your property’s history of elk-caused damages;
  • the type of fencing proposed;
  • quotes for materials required; and
  • a map of the location of the fence in relation to the property.

Submit your application

Contact the Agriculture Branch to discuss your fencing project and apply for funding.

  • Phone: 867-667-5838 or toll free: 1-800-661-0408 (ask to be transferred)
  • In person: Room 320 in the Elijah Smith Building at 300 Main Street in Whitehorse. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
  • Email:
  • Mail:
    Government of Yukon
    Agriculture Branch (K-320A)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

Find out the decision

We’ll review applications on a case-by-case basis. We’ll review your application within 2 weeks. We may contact you with questions.

We’ll prioritize applicants:

  • located in the Takhini Valley; and
  • who have not received funding for fencing before.

Protect your property from wildlife

The Sustainable Canadian Agricultural Partnership (Sustainable CAP) offers funding to:

  • protect your property from wildlife; and
  • get compensated for damage caused by wildlife.

For a full overview of the funding program, read the Sustainable CAP additional criteria for eligible activities document.


For more information, email You can phone 867-667-5838, or toll-free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408 and ask for the Agriculture Branch.