Our libraries offer accessible services to library users with print disabilities. A print disability is a visual, physical learning disability that prevents you from reading conventional print.
- You must have a Yukon Public Library card. These are available at all Yukon Public Libraries and are free.
- Educators and support workers can get an institutional account.
- You or someone you designate can pick up materials in person at your local library.
- The Center for Equitable Library Access (CELA) can also send materials directly to your home. This is coordinated through your local library.
What accessible services are available?
These include e-text, e-Braille, PDF, MP3 and more collections available in English and French.
- Center for Equitable Library Access (CELA). This includes 500,000 titles including popular magazines, and newspapers.
- National Network for Equitable Library Services (NNELS). This includes 35,000 titles, mostly in DAISY audio format.
- Bookshare. This includes over 600,000 eBooks for all ages.
- OverDrive. This includes over 5,000 eBooks and audiobooks.
Physical materials in your local library and from CELA
- You can search the library catalogue for audiobooks, braille books, described DVDs, Digital Access Information System (DAISY) books and large print books.
- You can request newspapers, magazines, books on CD, and Braille through CELA.
- If we do not have an item, we can borrow it from another library.
- DAISY players can be borrowed for 6 weeks. They are audio substitutes for print material and specifically designed for people with print disabilities.
- Hand-held magnifying glass for in-library use only.
- Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) lamps for in-library use only.
Service animals with official training and certification are welcome.
Most library facilities are accessible. Contact your local library for more details.
Library staff can help you register to access resources in alternative formats. You can book a one-on-one session in advance. Our staff will support you so you can make use of available assistive technologies.
Extended loan period
Borrowers can request for extended loan period, unless the item is in high demand.
Request an item in an alternative format
- Formats Yukon Public Libraries don't carry are available through interlibrary loans.
- CELA and NNELL can help with creating titles that are not available in alternative formats.