Apply to become a marriage commissioner

When a couple wants to get married in the Yukon, they can contact a marriage commissioner. They offer an alternative to courthouse civil services and religious ceremonies.

A marriage commissioner can:

  • advise the couple of the legal requirements of marriage ceremonies; and
  • provide couples with flexible options for their wedding day. For example, couples may write their own vows and can include special requests in their ceremony.

Our list of marriage commissioners

Currently, there are over 40 marriage commissioners in the Yukon. You can get an updated list of marriage commissioners from our Vital Statistics office in Whitehorse. To request this list, email

Who can be a marriage commissioner?

Marriage commissioners in the Yukon must be:

  • able to provide proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residency;
  • at least 19 years of age;
  • fluent in English or French, or in both languages; and
  • able to present government-issued identification (Canadian passport, Canadian birth certificate or permanent residency card).

In general, Yukon marriage commissioners are:

  • known and active in their community;
  • able to provide their own transportation;
  • comfortable with a flexible, freelance work style that includes evenings and weekends; and
  • able to solemnize marriages between 6 am and 10 pm.

A commissioner can perform a marriage outside 6 am and 10 pm. For this to happen, the couple has to prove to the commissioner that the marriage:

  • is legal; and
  • needs to happen outside of the regular hours.


Pay your fees when you apply:

  • $250 for a 3-year appointment;
  • $100 for a 3-year renewal; and
  • $50 for one-time, 24-hour appointment.

We accept fees by cheque, money order, cash or debit (in person only), or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express) in person or by phone. You can pay at our Vital Statistics office in Whitehorse or at any territorial agent in the communities.

How to apply to be a marriage commissioner in the Yukon

  1. Download the marriage commissioner application form.
  2. Print and fill out the form.
  3. Submit the completed form along with identification and payment.

In person: Vital Statistics, 4th floor, 204 Lambert Street in Whitehorse. Our office is open from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.



Government of Yukon
Vital Statistics (H-2)
Box 2703, Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 2C6

We recommend you apply early. There's a 4 to 6 week waiting period before the minister approves your application.


If you have questions, email or phone 867-667-5207. Phone toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5207.