Issuing of permits postponed
The Government of Yukon has postponed the issuing of park permits while we evaluate potential COVID-19 impacts on park operations. Applications are still being accepted. Visit this page for future updates.
Do I need a permit?
You need a permit for the following land and air-based activities within Yukon territorial park boundaries.
Commercial guided recreation activities, including, but not limited to:
- horseback riding;
- dog mushing;
- sport fishing;
- mountain biking;
- paragliding or hang gliding;
- wildlife viewing; and
You also need a wilderness tourism licence to work as a wilderness tourism operator in Yukon.
All research and educational activities run by colleges, universities or non-profit organizations, including, but not limited to:
- collecting samples;
- creating research plots;
- field trips;
- field courses;
- workshops; and
- public education events.
You also need a scientists and explorers licence to do research in Yukon.
Land use or industrial development activities, including, but not limited to:
- land use or occupation for commercial, industrial, or residential activities; and
- aircraft landing within park boundaries.
You also need a Dempster Highway development permit for any development or off-road vehicle use (except snowmobiles) in the Dempster Highway corridor.
Commercial film and photography shoots, including, but not limited to:
- motion pictures;
- advertisements; and
- other commercial products like calendars, books, postcards, etc.
Special events, including, but not limited to:
- Cultural or community events;
- sporting events;
- school trips;
- festivals; and
- large private events.
You also need a permit to camp in a territorial campground.
Apply for a park permit
- Complete the application form.
- Submit your completed application.
In person: Yukon Parks offices in Dawson, Inuvik, or Whitehorse.
Government of Yukon
Parks Branch (V-4)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
Additional permits and licences
You may also need the following permits and licences.
- A camping permit to camp at Government of Yukon campgrounds.
- A wilderness tourism licence.
- A scientists and explorers licence for research.
- Approval or permit for paleontological or archaeological activities.
- An access permit for access and work within highway right-of-ways.
- A land use permit for certain land use activities.
- A Dempster Highway development permit.
- An environmental impact screening committee process for activities at Herschel Island.
For more information about park permits, email email@example.com or phone: 867-667-5648 or toll-free in Yukon, NWT and Nunavut: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5648.