Get funding for disaster-affected farms and agricultural producers

The Agriculture Disaster Financial Assistance Program is for farmers and agricultural producers. It covers the relief and recovery costs from the damage and loss caused by natural disaster.


You can receive funding for eligible costs, up to a maximum of $500,000.

How it Works

The Government of Canada’s Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangement program (DFAA), administered by Public Safety Canada, outlines disaster funding expenses that are eligible for recovery through the provincial/territorial government. The Yukon Disaster Financial Assistance Program (DFAP) aligns with the federal DFAA program.


Eligible applicants

You must be a Yukon resident and 1 of the following:

  • the owner and operator of a farm; or
  • an agricultural producer who leases agricultural land.

Applicants and their immediate family members are considered 1 applicant and 1 recipient. This is only the case if they operate or are involved in the same:

  • farm;
  • company;
  • corporation; or
  • partnership.

Ineligible applicants

  • Owners of hobby or backyard farms
  • Research bodies
  • Educational institutions
  • Government-funded agencies or institutions

These people or groups may be eligible under the Yukon DFAP for Housing.

Eligible farms

You must have an existing farm that:

  • is located in the region where the natural disaster occurred
  • was affected by the disaster
  • is operating in the Yukon
  • has a valid corporate registry (where applicable); and
  • is in good standing with the Government of Yukon.

Your farm or agriculture operation must have at least $10,000 in farming or business revenues but not more than two million. This revenue must be:

  • reported to the Canada Revenue Agency in the previous tax year; or
  • demonstrated through production or sale of agricultural products.

Eligible costs

  • replacing dead or euthanized livestock raised for sale
  • Replacing destroyed and unusable harvested and stored agricultural products
  • Repairing damage from field erosion or silting
  • Cleaning up and removing debris
  • Cleaning drainage or irrigation systems
  • Repairing or restoring fencing used for your farm or agricultural operation
  • Evacuating livestock – pasture rental, boarding or transportation
  • Repairing or restoring essential farm buildings
  • Restoring damaged pens and corrals

Contact the Agriculture Branch if you have specific questions about eligibility.

Once eligibility is determined, a site visit will be scheduled with an authorized evaluator. This agent will produce an estimate of total claimable losses, which will be reviewed for a final determination on eligibility, per DFAA guidelines and as outlined in this program description.

The following items may be eligible under the Yukon DFAP for Housing (conditions may apply):

  • home gardens;
  • garden tools and supplies;
  • garden sheds; and
  • rototiller or powered cultivators.

Ineligible costs

  • Items that were insured or insurable – reviewed on a case-by-case basis
  • Residential and decorative fencing
  • Non-essential items – recreational items, household tools, snowmobiles, and toys
  • Damage to lawns and gardens
  • Upgrades to existing facilities
  • Damage unrelated to disaster
  • Damage caused by normal risk of farm operations and activities
  • Loss of income and opportunity
  • Inconveniences
  • Daily operating costs
  • Losses recoverable through legal proceedings

Any costs you can recover through another government program are not eligible.

Apply to the program

Application deadline

After an eligible disaster, the DFAP will be activated. Application deadlines will be shared after the DFAP has been activated for a particular event.

How to apply

  1. Download the application form after the DFAP has been activated for a particular event.
  2. Read the terms and conditions, and the required documents sections of the form.
  3. Complete and sign the application form.
  4. Submit your form and the required documents to the Agriculture Branch.
    In person: Room 320 of the Elijah Smith Building, 300 Main Street, Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
    Government of Yukon
    Agriculture Branch (K-320A)
    Box 2703
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

After you apply

You’ll get confirmation that we've received your application shortly after. We'll work through applications in the order we receive them. We'll provide you with updates on your application as we process it.

Request for more information

We may ask you for more information or documents. If this happens, we’ll put your application on hold until you provide the information.

Approval or rejection

You’ll receive a confirmation letter when we approve your application.

We’ll reject and return ineligible or incomplete applications. If this happens, you can:

  • discuss how to improve your application with the Agriculture Branch;
  • update your original application; and
  • resubmit your application.

Contact the Agriculture Branch if you have any questions or to discuss eligibility and your application.

In person: Elijah Smith Building, room 320, 300 Main Street, Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Phone: 867-667-5838 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 and ask to be transferred