Landlord and tenant responsibilities at the end of a tenancy

New conditions for ending residential tenancies introduced

As part of efforts to address housing pressures Yukoners are facing, an Exemption Regulation to the Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (RLTA) was introduced on January 31, 2023 that places conditions on ending a residential tenancy in the territory.

For more information on the Exemption Regulation, click the link below.


Conditions for ending a tenancy

A tenancy ends when:

  • the tenancy agreement is fixed-term and specifies the tenant will move out at the end of the term;
  • the tenant or landlord give notice to end a periodic tenancy;
  • circumstances beyond the landlord’s or tenant’s control make it impossible for the tenancy agreement to continue;
  • the tenant abandons the rental unit;
  • the landlord is granted an order by the Residential Tenancies Office; or
  • the tenant and landlord mutually agree in writing to end the tenancy.

View the when a tenancy ends information sheet for more information.

Move out time

  • The tenant must move out by 1 p.m. on the last day of the tenancy.
  • If the tenant is not fully moved out by 1 p.m., the landlord may request additional costs.

Condition inspection report

View the condition inspection report information sheet.

Security deposit

After the tenant has moved out and if the tenant has provided a forwarding address, the landlord has 15 days to:

  • return the security deposit in full with interest;
  • with the consent of the tenant, return the security deposit with deductions with interest; or
  • apply for dispute resolution and request an order allowing the landlord to keep all or some of the security deposit.

Security deposit interest calculator.

View the return of security deposits information sheet.

Notice to end a tenancy

Both landlords and tenants may end a tenancy for cause, and must serve notice on the other party.

View the notice to end tenancy information sheet.

View the notice forms.

Order of possessions

  • Both landlords and tenants may apply to the Residential Tenancies Office for an order of possession.
  • An order of possession gives the applicant the right to occupy a rental unit.

View the order of possession information sheet.

Abandoned possessions

A rental unit is considered abandoned when the tenant gives up tenancy and possession without proper notice to the landlord. If the tenant leaves personal property in the rental unit, you can:

  • Apply to the Residential Tenancies Office to remove and sell or dispose of the property; or
  • Itemize and store the items until you get a Residential Tenancies Office order or the tenant comes back to claim the items. In this case:
    • you are required to exercise reasonable care and ensure the property is not damaged, lost or stolen.
    • you can seek compensation from the tenant for any costs incurred with storing the tenant’s property.
    • keep a written inventory of any abandoned property.
    • you might also want to take photographs of the items to document their condition.

View the abandoned property information sheet.


View all the forms for landlords and tenants.


For questions about landlord responsibilities at the end of a tenancy, email, or phone 867-667-5944, toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5944.

You can also visit our office at 307 Black Street, 1st floor, Whitehorse.