Find supports for your child with a disability

If your child has a disability, you can access supports.

Are you eligible to access our services?

You're eligible if:

  • you're a Yukon resident;
  • your child is under 19 years of age; and
  • your child has a disability that makes it difficult for them to do typical, day-to-day activities.

Where are our services available?

Children’s Disability Services are available in all Yukon communities.

How do you access our services?

  1. You or someone working with your child, such as a doctor or teacher, can make a referral with your permission.
  2. To help determine eligibility, you (or the person referring) must provide your child’s:
    • full name;
    • date of birth;
    • type of disability (if known);
    • caregiver names; and
    • relevant reports.
  3. A social worker arranges a meeting to discuss your family’s needs. Visits can take place at your home, the Children’s Disability Services office, or elsewhere.
  4. This initial meeting lasts about 1 hour. A follow-up meeting may be needed. During the meeting, the social worker will:
    • gather information about your child’s needs;
    • review consent and confidentiality forms;
    • discuss alternate supports and services; and
    • share information about the supports and services we offer.
  5. We'll also need a report or assessment. This will identify how your child’s disability significantly limits their ability to function in daily life.
  6. The social worker will contact you to follow up.
  7. If your child and family are eligible, it may take 4 to 6 weeks to set up the funding.

What is Children’s Disability Services?

If your child has a disability, Children’s Disability Services can help you care for them. It’s important to get help early as this will increase your child’s lifelong learning potential.

We promote inclusion of children with disabilities in community life. Our social workers help families access the services they need. These services include:

  • an inclusion worker;
  • respite care for families;
  • a behaviour consultant and applied behaviour analysis therapy;
  • occupational therapy and physical therapy; and
  • speech-language pathology (therapy).

Other services available for children with disabilities in Yukon


To make a referral or ask questions about our programs, phone 867-393-7464, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 7464.

In person: 49B Waterfront Place in Whitehorse. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Fax: 867-667-7553

Government of Yukon
Disability Services, H–11B
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6