A new 14-day unpaid leave will help Yukoners protect their health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Read the new Leave (COVID-19) Regulation.
This unpaid leave complements the Yukon government’s program that supports employers who wish to offer the 10-day COVID-19 related paid sick leave.
Under the new regulation, an employee is entitled to a leave without pay for a period of up to 14 days if they require it.
All Yukon workers whose industries or organizations are governed by the Yukon Employment Standards Act are eligible for this leave.
An employee can use this leave if they or someone in their care is ordered to follow a health protection measure such as self-isolation. The length of this leave aligns with the recommendation of how long (14 days) people must self-isolate because they have developed symptoms or are at risk due to contact with the virus.
This unpaid leave complements the 10-day COVID-19 related paid sick leave the Yukon government recently announced.
This leave is not available to:
- Government of Yukon and its corporations;
- Government of Canada and its corporations;
- Yukon First Nation governments; or
Notice to employer
An employee who takes this leave of absence must give their employer as much notice as possible.
To reduce the strain on the health care system and further limit exposure, a doctor’s note is not required to access this leave.
The leave must be taken all at once.
This leave will be in effect until 14 days after the Civil Emergency Measures Health Protection (COVID-19) Order is lifted.
Health protection measures
Health protection measures for COVID-19 include:
- a quarantine of an individual under the Public Health and Safety Act;
- a restriction on the free movement of an individual made or suggested by, or under the authority of, the chief medical officer of health or the chief public health officer; and
- hospitalization of an individual for medical investigation, supervision or treatment.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-867-667-5944, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 5944.