The Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program provides temporary financial support for lower-income workers for the delivery of essential services during COVID-19.
Who can apply?
This program is open to:
- businesses, non-government organizations or governments; and
- community societies or associations whose operations have been identified as critical or essential and that can apply for their eligible workers; and
- employers accessing the Temporary Wage Subsidy.
A Yukon organization or a community society or association that employs essential workers who meet the income threshold can apply on behalf of their workers.
Who cannot apply?
This program is not available to workers who have accessed the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) during the same period in which they're applying for the Yukon Essential Workers Income Support Program.
A Yukon business means a business that meets 3 of the following criteria:
- Has a resident agent, warehouse, office or place of business in Yukon;
- is subject to the Yukon Income Tax Act;
- is registered under the Business Corporations Act or the Partnership and Business Name Act, where applicable; and
- has a valid municipal business licence, where applicable.
A community society or association means organizations that:
- are registered societies under the Yukon Societies Act and are in good standing; and
- are based in the community.
In order to be eligible for this program a worker must:
- earn less than $20 an hour; and
- provide a critical or essential service, regardless of whether they're a full-time or part-time employee.
This program applies to all Yukon workers providing essential and critical services listed in Annex 2 of the Yukon government’s Guidelines for the delivery of critical and essential services (as of April 2, 2020) and any subsequent additions.
Wage premiums (for example, increased pay for working evenings and weekends) are considered to be part of the employee's hourly wage and need to be accounted for in the required documents listed below.
What will employers receive?
Employers will be compensated $50 for each registered essential worker to help with the employer portion of both Canada Pension Plan contributions and Employment Insurance premiums.
How much can workers receive?
Workers will receive the lesser of:
- a top-up of either $4 an hour, for up to 40 hours a week; or
- an amount that brings their wage to $20 an hour, for up to 40 hours a week
The program will cover a maximum of 16 consecutive weeks of regular worked hours for each essential worker between March 15, 2020, and October 3, 2020. This does not include overtime, vacation, sick or non-worked statutory pay hours.
Employers have the flexibility to decide on the 16 consecutive weeks within this period as long as the 16 weeks ends by October 3, 2020.
The employer can select a different 16-week period for each employee. However, each employee must have a consecutive 16-week period. Paid or unpaid employee leave during the enrolment period will not constitute a break in eligibility under this program. This subsidy is considered taxable income.
The deadline to apply for this program is November 3, 2020. Employers should apply to our office prior to paying their staff the top-up.
Required documents for applying
- A completed and signed application form with the original signature page.
- A completed client worksheet Excel spreadsheet
- For businesses, documentation showing that the applicant is an eligible Yukon business dated before March 1, 2020. For example, a utility bill showing the business’s name and address, registration from Corporate Affairs dated before March 1, 2020, or a valid business licence.
- For societies and associations, a copy of their registration.
- Copies of the most recent pay stubs, for all employees in the application, covering the dates and proof of wages paid. Yukon income support amountmust be recorded as a separate pay category on the paystub.
How to apply
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-456-3803, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 3803