The Yukon Business Relief Program provides relief to Yukon businesses affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The program provides non-repayable grants to cover specific fixed costs.
Extension of the program
The Yukon Business Relief Program has been extended to July 31, 2020, in order to continue our partnership with CanNor’s Northern Business Relief Fund.
Businesses will continue to apply through Yukon government for support from either or both programs. This coordination happens automatically provided the business, on its application form, has permitted information sharing between the two governments.
For expenses during the May 23 – July 23 extension period, applications will first be assessed for support under CanNor’s Northern Business Relief Fund. Expenses not eligible for CanNor support will be assessed for payment by the Yukon Business Relief Program. Applications for June and July must demonstrate revenue loss in each month for which support is being sought.
Who can apply?
This program is open to Yukon businesses, including home-based businesses, which have faced a minimum of 30 per cent loss in gross revenue due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who cannot apply?
This program is not available to:
- governments at all levels and their corporations;
- religious organizations;
- finance and insurance;
- real estate;
- telecommunications; and
This program is available to Yukon businesses that have experience at least a 30 per cent decline in revenue.
A Yukon business means a business that meets three of the following criteria:
- has an office with a physical address in Yukon;
- is subject to the Yukon Income Tax Act;
- is registered as per the Business Corporations Act or the Partnership and Business Name Act, where applicable; and
- has a valid municipal business license, where applicable.
How much can businesses receive?
Eligible Yukon businesses will receive between 75 and 100 per cent of their fixed costs up to a maximum of $30,000 per month.
What is the timeline for costs?
The program will cover eligible costs incurred from March 23, 2020, to July 23, 2020.
Applications will be accepted until August 31, 2020.
Eligible fixed costs
The business costs eligible for support are:
- commercial rent or lease;
- water, sewage and waste disposal;
- electricity and heating fuel;
- telephone, cable, internet and satellite;
- software, data services, and subscriptions;
- business insurance; and
- pest control.
For home-based businesses:
If you have a home-based business, your business-use-of-home expenses are eligible. This means the portion of mortgage interest or rent costs accepted by the Canada Revenue Agency as attributable to the operation of the home-based businesses.
Home-based businesses must provide proof of “business-use-of-home expenses deductions,” as defined by the Canada Revenue Agency, on their 2018 federal income tax return. For example:
- portion of rent;
- property insurance;
- interest on mortgages; and
The following business costs are not covered by the program:
- any expense not listed under “eligible fixed costs”;
- mortgage principal payments for home-based businesses; and
- any costs that have already been covered by insurance.
What you need to apply
- Complete and sign the application form with the original signature page.
- Documentation showing that you are an eligible Yukon business dated before March 1, 2020. For example, a utility bill, showing the organization’s name and address, registration from Corporate Affairs dated before March 1, 2020 and a valid business license.
- Copies of invoices or bills showing fixed costs incurred during the program period that meet the eligibility requirements for this program. For example, electrical bills, rent receipts.
- Documents to demonstrate a revenue loss of 30% in gross revenue – calculation method will vary by sector.
- Any other supporting documents.
- Eligible expenses for home-based business will be based on previous tax years.
- New home-based businesses without 2018 tax filings may provide 2019 tax filing documentation as proof of eligibility.
How to apply
- Download the application
- Complete the application.
- Submit the application and required supporting documents:
In person: 303 Alexander Street, 2nd floor, Whitehorse
Open Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Government of Yukon
Yukon Business Relief Program (F-1)
If you have questions, email email@example.com or phone 867-456-3803, toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 3803.