Making informed food choices is about:
- becoming more knowledgeable about the choices you make;
- taking steps to make it easy to make choices for yourself and your family.
- Find the latest recommendations from Health Canada and Canada's food guide.
- The Dietitians of Canada has reliable, life-changing advice.
You can harvest many healthy foods from the land in Yukon. Eating traditional foods can help you connect to your culture while improving your health.
You can also use this fun traditional foods colouring book to help kids get interested in eating healthy traditional foods.
What about vitamin D?
Yukoners need vitamin D at every stage of life and in every season. Find out more about the importance of vitamin D.
- Find out more about how eating together promotes good nutrition and helps develop healthy eating habits.
- Find out how to spend less money, but still eat healthy foods.
- Cookspiration has a menu planning tool and app to help you plan on the go.
- Better Together has a variety of tips and recipes.
Build a healthy relationship with food
Ellyn Satter Institute provides resources to build healthy relationships with food and bring the joy back into eating.
Read up about healthier beverage options for your family, such as water, milk and smoothies.
Resources for families
- Find information on how to make nutritious breakfasts, lunches and snacks and deal with picky eaters.
- Read about how to help your toddler develop healthy eating habits.
- Read about nutrition for young athletes.
- Read about how to introduce your baby to solid foods.
- Read about how to make healthy meals that will assist in your child's development and education.
Eating well at work
Get ideas on how to host a healthy meeting.
Resources for teachers and schools
What does the Health Promotion dietitian do?
We support healthy choices in Yukon by:
- providing training and resources to support health professionals;
- helping to develop policies and guidelines to support healthy food environments;
- developing programs and initiatives to raise awareness about nutrition;
- improving access to:
- nutritious foods;
- food knowledge; and
- cooking skills;
- supporting NGOs and community groups in delivering healthy eating and cooking programs by providing:
- training; and
- small grants;
- promoting positive social and cultural traditions around eating;
- developing healthy eating resources that are relevant and accessible to all Yukon people;
- responding to community requests for presentations, with priority given to requests that are focused on building or skills or capacity.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phone: 867-456-6160; toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 6160.
Government of Yukon
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6