File for a divorce

What legislation should you know about

In Canada, the federal Divorce Act legislates divorce and other related legal issues, such as:

  • spousal support;
  • child support;
  • custody; and
  • access for divorcing couples.

What about property and division of debt

This falls under the Yukon’s Family Property and Support Act.

Who can apply for divorce

Either spouse:

  • can apply for a Divorce Order; and
  • must have been residing in the Yukon for at least 1 year immediately before the start of the proceeding.

When can you apply for divorce

  • As soon as you are separated.
  • If you're claiming breakdown of marriage on the grounds of separation for at least 1 year: your Divorce Order will be granted after the 1 year of separation is over.

What if you need an order for custody and/or child support

You can apply and receive these before the 1 year of separation is over.

When should you apply for a Divorce Order

  • If there is no hope for reconciliation.
  • As soon as custody, child support or other orders are required.
  • Before the other party moves away from the Yukon.

Helpful resources

Books, newsletters, reports about family law

Yukon Public Law Library

Yukon Supreme Court rules and forms

Yukon Courts

Legal aid

Yukon Legal Services Society

Get your questions answered about the law

Lawyer referral service

Law Society of Yukon


Mediation Yukon

Family law in Canada

Justice Canada Family Law

The steps you need to take to file for divorce

Read all the details in the Applying for Divorce: Family Law Self-Help Guide. If you have any questions or need assistance in completing the court forms, contact the Family Law Information Centre.

These are the steps:

  1. Research the laws and rules that apply to your family law matter.
  2. Collect your supporting documents.
  3. Prepare and complete forms.
  4. Make copies of all your forms and documents.
  5. Have your financial statement and affidavits notarized.
  6. File your forms with the Supreme Court Registry.
  7. Arrange to have your filed forms served on the other party.
  8. Prepare and file an Affidavit of Service.
  9. Wait for a response from the other party (if no response is filed, go to step 11).
  10. Prepare responding affidavits, if needed.
  11. Request a Divorce Order.
  12. Request a Certificate of Divorce.

If you have questions about applying for a divorce, contact the Family Law Information Centre. The office is open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm.

In person: Andrew A. Philipsen Law Centre (ground floor), 2134 2nd Avenue 
Phone: 867-456-6721, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408 extension 6721.