How do inmates access money?
When an inmate is admitted to the Whitehorse Correctional Centre:
- a trust account is set up for them;
- the inmate can use money from their trust account to pay for phone calls or items from the canteen; and
- all money in their trust account is returned to them upon release.
How can you transfer money to an inmate's trust account?
- You can deposit money at the Synergy kiosk in the Whitehorse Correctional Centre or at any kiosk location across Canada. They accept cash only. You will need to know the inmate ID number to use the kiosk.
- You can buy a MoneyGram at any Canada Post location. Once you buy it, phone Synergy Customer Service at 1-866-713-4761 to deposit the MoneyGram into the trust account.
- You can send money to inmates fast using Paypal, Interac Online or PaysafeCash. You will need to know the inmate ID number in order to use this service.
Visit Synergy Deposits to send money or for more information.
Hours of operation
- The Synergy kiosk is available Monday to Sunday from 8 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Every day after 4 p.m. the main entrance is locked. You can use the intercom button near the entrance to ask for access.
To find out more about transferring money to an inmate at the Whitehorse Correctional Centre, phone 867-455-2900.