Get in touch with an inmate at Whitehorse Correctional Centre

  1. By mail
  2. By phone
  3. Subscriptions and books
  4. Privacy

Inmates have the right to communicate with their families and friends, as well as their lawyers, the courts and public officials.

  1. By mail
    • Inmates can send up to 7 letters per week.
    • Inmates can receive an unlimited amount of mail.
    • Inmates are not allowed to communicate with anyone that the court has ordered them not to.

    Where do I send mail to an inmate?

    c/o Whitehorse Correctional Centre
    25 University Drive,
    Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 5B6

  2. By phone

    When are inmates allowed to use the phone?

    Inmates can use the phones in the living units from 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. with the exception of weekend and holiday hours.

    • Inmates cannot receive incoming telephone calls.
    • Inmates can receive voicemail messages.
    • In special circumstances you can leave a voicemail for an inmate.
    • Exceptions are made for family emergencies.

    What phone system is used at the correctional centre?

    There is a secure inmate telephone system from Synergy Inmate Phones at the correctional centre.

    The phone system:

    • gives people the choice of speaking with an inmate;
    • protects vulnerable people from further victimization;
    • prevents illegal activities from being conducted from WCC; and
    • respects the rights of inmates.

    This is possible because:

    • calls from WCC are identified;
    • people receiving a call can choose to accept or deny the call;
    • a person can have their number blocked if they do not want to receive calls from an inmate;
    • all public calls are recorded and Corrections can review these; and
    • inmates use a separate phone to make legal and privileged calls, and these are not recorded.

    How can you transfer money to an inmate's trust account?

    • You can deposit money at the Synergy kiosk in the Whitehorse Correctional Centre (cash only). Or, use any kiosk location across Canada. You need to know the offender PIN (inmate number) to use the kiosk.
    • You can also buy a MoneyGram at any Canada Post location. Once you buy it, phone Synergy Customer Service 1-866-713-4761 to deposit the MoneyGram into the trust account. For more information visit the Synergy website.

    You must know the offender PIN (inmate number) for any of the above services.

    How can you get your number blocked?

    If you receive a call from WCC you have the option of blocking all future calls through an automated system.

    You can also preemptively block your phone number(s) by calling the Synergy Customer Service line or Victim Services.

    How do you unblock your number?

    If you choose to unblock your number you can call the Synergy Customer Service line.

    Phone numbers for court-ordered no-contact orders will not be unblocked without verification that the order has been lifted.

    For questions or requests related to the phone system, phone:

    • Synergy Customer Service Line – 1-866-713-4761
    • Victim Services – 867-667-8500 or 1-800-661-0408 extension 8500

    Will an inmate know that you've blocked or declined their call?

    The inmate will not know that you've chosen to decline or block the call. They will hear an automated message saying the call was not connected.

    How much do collect calls cost?

    Collect calls cost $1.85 per 20-minute phone call.

    Long-distance collect calls cost $1.50 for a connect fee plus $0.30 per minute.

    Will your conversations with an inmate be recorded?

    • All public calls – except legal and other privileged calls – are recorded and may be monitored.
    • The call recordings will only be monitored if corrections believes the inmate is:
      • involved in illegal activities;
      • harassing others; or
      • participating in an activity that may jeopardize the security of WCC.

    What if you receive a threatening call from an inmate?

    You can report the call. That recording can be used as evidence. To report a call, contact WCC at 867-455-2900.

  3. Subscriptions and books

    Are inmates allowed subscriptions?

    Inmates may subscribe to and receive books and magazines that are legally available.

    The following material is not permitted:

    • detailed information on making weapons or committing criminal acts;
    • material that promotes genocide or hatred of any identifiable group;
    • sexually oriented material involving violence or children; and
    • material that promotes tattooing; and
    • material that jeopardizes the security of the WCC.

  4. Privacy

    Is mail inspected?

    Incoming and outgoing mail is inspected for:

    • money;
    • personal property; or
    • contraband.

    Money will be deposited in the inmate's trust account. Contraband or personal property will be confiscated and returned to the sender.

    The superintendent may authorize a staff member to read correspondence if there are reasonable grounds to believe the correspondence contains:

    • plans for sending contraband in or out;
    • plans for a criminal act; and
    • information affecting the security of the WCC, or the safety of any person.

    The reasons for reading the correspondence will be recorded and the inmate will be told.

    Does all mail get opened at the WCC?

    Correspondence from the following people will not be opened:

    • a lawyer;
    • the director of corrections;
    • a Member of Parliament;
    • a Member of the Legislative Assembly; and
    • the Ombudsman.