Cut and use trees on your mining claim

You can cut down or clear trees to help in mining operations on your claim. Timber harvesting must be consistent with:

  • your Class 1 mining notification;
  • your mining land use approval; and
  • mining regulations.

When it makes economic sense, you have to salvage and stockpile the sellable timber you do not need for mining. This timber can be used or sold for:

  • firewood;
  • lumber production; or
  • cabin logs.

You do not have exclusive rights to the timber on:

  • your claim; or
  • an area for which you have a land use permit.

While you can use trees on your claim for mining-related purposes, we keep the rights to the trees not used for mining. If you want to salvage or remove timber from your mine on public land, you will need a Forest Resources Permit. You can get this from your local Compliance, Monitoring and Inspections office. There is no application fee for the permit, but you'll have to pay a stumpage fee on the timber harvested.

Compliance, Monitoring and Inspections will try to ensure the use or disposal of salvage timber if you:

  • do not want rights to the trees; or
  • need help disposing of timber on your claim.

We usually do this by issuing timber rights to:

  • a commercial forest-industry client; or
  • the public for personal use.

Mining and timber harvesting on the same area

You can still stake a claim or work on your mine if your claim overlaps an area permitted for timber harvesting. However, you may be limited to when you cut or clear. You may also have to cut the trees in a way that keeps the timber’s value. We will work with you and the timber-harvest permit holder before any harvesting starts.

We may develop a timber harvest plan that overlaps your mineral claim. If this happens, we'll contact you before issuing a permit for harvesting. We'll ask you for details about any timber on your claim that you need for mining operations.